When small is good . . .

Prof Young

Took a yearling doe first day of IL gun season (today). I didn't really expect buckzilla to come by and it was a long way uphill back to the truck. Knew I'd have to drag it out myself. On top of all that I hunt for venison not a trophy (well if one came by . . . ) anyway she was the first one I saw. Two shots. I thought the first one missed as she turned and ran, but stopped again giving me full broadside. Second shot too out the heart as confirmed when I field dressed her. Turns out first shot was a lung shot that would have taken her down anyway. Anymore I keep the backstrap and the tenderloin whole and the rest becomes venison burger cut with some bacon. All in the freezer now. Life is good.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Congrats on the deer Prof!

What gun and ammo did you use?

One buck I shot a few years ago was so heavy even to turn it over to gut it.

The drag I had was downhill and a good thing.

congrats on deer. ny opener for regular season. got a late start was in the woods 8 am. had a one hour still hunt about a half mile and sat 50 yards from a fairly large scrape.
was on stand till 11 had 4 does come from behind and left. found an opening about 75 yards through heavy timber and brush. the first doe made it through the second stopped andlooked over her left flank. the third took a 95 grain fed fusion 243 win in the boiler room. one shot dead in her tracks. 5 min later a larger whitetail came through same place. had no shot left stand too early. eas more concerned with one i had down.

Thanks and . . .

Thanks Guys.
Savage99 I have a Winchester 1300 with a slug barrel and a good shotgun scope. I'm shooting one oz "sluggers." In Illinois you can't use a rifle. It's shotgun, muzzle loader or handgun only. Still have an archery tag to fill.
Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Yep, small is good when you're a long way from the pickup. I wish we had muntjac / dik-dik sized deer here, too, so you could choose the size you wanted.

Years ago, my Dad and I were hunting out on the prairies of western South Dakota. I spotted a doe way out there and dropped to prone position for a solid rest. One shot and it was over. But turned out to be a young doe much closer than I'd estimated. Dad gave me the old hee-haw over my error but the steaks were nice and tender.

Jack

Back