When is a Colt no longer a Colt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingknives

Just looking at my Colt Combat Elite and realized that the only original Colt parts are the slide, frame and ejector. Most of the other parts are Wilson, King bushing, Bar-Sto barrel, Wolff Springs etc.....

So, the question is, should I still call it a Colt? A Wilson or what? Potluck? Mutt? I'm sooooo confused. I hate these deep philisophical questions.

I would state that you have yourself a mongral there. But until you replace the slide and frame with something else, it should still be a Colt.----------------Maybe.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

Jim, you should hope that you are lucky enough to obtain one of these custom built pistols. Your calling it a mongrel shows that you wouldn't be afraid to shoot against it for money with your outa the box goodie, right?
YOU CALL ANY PISTOL BY THE NAME ON THE FRAME.

Then my brother can call his Smegma a Glock, right?

------------------
"The rage is relentless... We need a movement with a quickness.
You are a witness of change and to counteract - We gotta take the power back!"

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

I have a 1911 with a military slide and a Federal ordnance frame. It shoots better than any pure Colt 45 auto i have previously owned. Anyone else have such a combination? It also has a adjustable trigger.

It is a Frankengun. I have several that are real nifty shooters. We like to get usable guns and take them all apart, throw away the stupid stuff and do a make over. Our most recent sucesses have been a Gov Mod in .9mm which worked flawlessly the first time out and now we are redoing a Sistema Colt 1927 with first class quality parts. The frame and slide will be all that is left of the original gun. Redoing guns is a sickness but a happy one!

John, I have several mongrals in my gun box. However, I sometimes think we change parts not because they need changing, but because we CAN change them.

And if I read Lingknives post correctly, he was the first to call it a MUTT. lol

Yes, but a custom pistol built on a semi-custom pistol is by no means a mongrel. You're gonna have American Handgunner sending you hate mail. Come on over and I'll show you a bunch of nifty raceguns. Bring a jug of single malt and I'll make a proper toast. Don't get peeved with me, I think I live here now. None of those other forums seem to want me.

It's a COLT. Gun companies, like automobile companies rely on subcontractors to produce parts. It's cheaper than building it in-house and you don't have to lay off employees when work slows down.

If you think it's not a legitimate way to build a gun, then I venture to say most currently manufactured guns are but a collection of parts from various manufacturers.

------------------
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up... Yankee Doodle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back