When friends 'hog' the .22, it must be a decent gun.

Bought the German-designed/produced "S&W M&P" .22 last week. 63 years old, my first .22 handgun.

Both good gun buddies tried it today and were often seen reloading the mag and walking towards the Action Pistol gongs when I was distracted-more than I could have anticipated.
They really like the trigger among other characteristics.

They also did this with my Romanian SAR-1.

Last edited:
One friend's (very astute mil surp. guy) Hungarian PA-63 has the original hammer spring and the terrible DA combined with the recoil made the .22 such a pleasant, Very stark contrast.

Merry Christmas.

Spats McGee: "..like it", without a doubt.
I shot about 500 rds. through it the day right before plinking with these seasoned milsurp desperados.
Besides wanting to be very generous with the brick of my .22 ammo and new gun, both guys have done very reasonably-priced gun deals with me in the recent past.

Last edited:
That's why everyone should own at least one decent .22 handgun and rifle. They're super fun to plink with, cheap to shoot, and great for friendly, impromptu competition among friends.

That's why everyone should own at least one decent .22 handgun and rifle. They're super fun to plink with, cheap to shoot, and great for friendly, impromptu competition among friends.

I'll agree with that 100%. I fire more rounds through 22 handguns than all centerfire combined. Add to that the accuracy factor , even my "cheapo" used Ruger 22/45 regularly outshoots my centerfire handguns.

Self resetting targets

The above is one of many ways to make a .22 even more fun.

I love the metal stick in the ground swinging targets. One can spend hours plinking without resetting targets.

I don't currently have a scoped .22 handgun. I need to fix that. I put a red dot on my Ruger Mk. III hunter. Now I want to switch it to a compact lo magnification scope.
I had a Mk II with a 2X7 X 32 scope. I foolishly sold it. I'll soon replace the red dot with a scope on the Mk. III.

I bought my wife a sweet little Mannlicher 10/22 carbine. She INSISTED on a 3 X 9 variable on it. Hell the scope is bigger than the carbine......I am exaggerating but I sure don't like it......good thing it is hers.

Great plinking gun

Hello,
I have the full size s&w m&p 22lr handgun.
I bought it used from gunbroker as a plinking gun.
It came with 2 - 12 round magazines and has a safety.
I removed the safety and the mag disconnect.
I also changed the follower and spring in the mag, and it
now holds 15 rounds.
Anyway, for my range story:
I was shooting, and there was a family shooting next to me,
and they had a 13 - 15 year old boy there.
I think it was his first time shooting hand guns, but they were
shooting all larger caliber guns, and I could see that the boy was
nervous of the recoil.
So I asked him if he wanted to try my 22.
After his first shot, I could see that he wasn't afraid of the recoil
and he shot the rest with ease.
I don't know, and it was not my intention, but i bet the boy begged
his parents to get him a 22. It would be a great starter gun for him.

Anyway, they are great plinking guns.

Whenever I introduce firearms to my female friends who've never shot previously, the first step is acclimate them to a 22 semi auto pistol. The Ruger MKIII is just perfect. The next step is usually my 9mm 1911 . The whole idea is to keep the recoil low which keeps the experience FUN with easily intimidated new female students.

This first .22 handgun, as with the Walther P22 I borrowed a for weeks from a different friend, resulted in a Serious reduction of 9mm ammo consumption!

If that third guy (who very seldom shoots his 8-10 guns: Twice/year?) had not loaned me his P22, I would Not have seen "the light" about .22 handguns at all. It's that simple.

jmjgunner: Well done, helping broaden the boy's horizons. Otherwise he might have given up on handguns.

Last edited:
I own ten .22lr pistols and two rifles. Plus, more than ten other caliber pistols and one rifle. The 22s are easier to shoot accurately and the ammo is certainly less expensive. My favorite .22lr pistols are the Hammerli Xesse Sport and the S&W Models 41.

I use red dots on most of my 22s and scopes on the Rugers Mk ii (Government Target), Ruger Mk iii (Competition Target) and the rifles. At 81 years of age, I need the help. However, the iron sights on the Hammerli work well for me. I'd like to get another one to use iron sights exclusively. Cost of another Hammerli is holding me back.

Road_Clam said:
Whenever I introduce firearms to my female friends who've never shot previously, the first step is acclimate them to a 22 semi auto pistol... The whole idea is to keep the recoil low which keeps the experience FUN with easily intimidated new female students.

Absolutely... I do the same. Start with a tame 22, get them used to holding the gun, shooting it without wincing. Then work up to a heavy .380 and eventually one of my full frame heavier 9mm's. I never start a newbie off with a mouse gun. Harder to hold correctly and usually more kick than same caliber in a heavier mid sized or larger gun. In extreme newbie cases, somebody that turns white just holding a gun, but really wants to learn to shoot anyway, I have a 1911 sized CO2 air pistol shooting BB's to start them off. I go down to the basement, line up soda cans in front of couple layers of dry wall and have them knock down cans. Dry wall sucks up BB's and keeps them from ricocheting. I always get a kick out of how faces light up when they actually "shoot" something, and they're hooked.

Back