When Did Colt & S&W Make Their Best Revolvers

Swamp Yankee

Always heard that Colt made its best production wheelguns in the mid and late 1960's. Have a Cobra and a Python from that era and have to admit the actions and finish are top notch.
The question also applies for S&W production revolvers. Have little knowledge of when they sent the best stuff to the market but have heard it was about the same time period.
Anyway I'd like to hear any and all comments and opinions on the subject.
As always, Thanks in advance for the responses.
Take Care

Disregarding the boycott and all that crap...

Some of the best S&W revolvers I've handled have been some of the new ones. They seem to have mastered the computer-controlled machining process, and many of them seem to come from the factory with trigger pulls matching that of the best of the old gunsmith-tuned guns.

Colt was great in the middle-part of the last century, and a Python I had, made in the '70 was excellent. But the Python always got special attention.

I would have to agree in late 50's to 60's,
I have a model 19 made in the 60's that is just
nothing but beautiful, bluing that has a mirror
look and action just as smooth. Most of the
Colts of that time were well made although I
don't think the bluing was as nice as the Smith.

S&W......fit, finish and function nearly allways excellent till around 60. Mostly good with exceptions in either direction after that. Some of the sorriest examples of lack of craftsmanship have come to hand in the last couple of years.

Sam...picky.

The pre-war .44s and registered mags are my favorite followed by 1947 to '56 N frames. It strange that my '60 K38 has an outstanding finish that is tops, almost black....dewey

Colt, the 1920's. S&W, the 1930's.

Note I am speaking of finish and fitting, not of cartridge power or safety features.

Jim

Back