When did Colt last make the 1860?

Easy E

At a gun shop the other day there was a model 1860 in a nice factory presentation box. It was definitely Colt made (or at least with their blessing). Asking price was $750. No fancy engraving. Just the standard "Colt's patent" rollmarks. It looked unfired. I didn't give it much thought until this morning. So, I'm curious as to the last time Colt produced a run of these. Would the price be reasonable? Any variables to consider? Thanks...

The Last of the "Colt" Colt 1860 Armies

Easy - Technically, the last "Colt" production of the 1860, as recognized by a gun able to "letter out" as with a Colt factory letter as provenance, took place in 1982. The final production run of approx. 1,200 of these guns were stainless steel, which was how Colt concluded the production run of the "Authentic Colt Blackpowdwer Series" of guns, begun in 1971 with the 1851 Navy. All the Armies (save the commemoratives) were produced in black boxes, gold labels, w/foam inserts.

A number of years later, after some financial problems, Colt sold the rights to the name,(remember Colt knives?) and the company called Colt Blackpowder Arms was born. It was overseen at the time by the same man who had guided the Colt "2nd Generation" of percussion revolvers, Lou Imperato. This company had some threadbare connections to the old Colt, but just a few. They included a photocopy of the old 2nd Gen. Colt manual with the guns they made, which included the page on warranty returns, which directed folks contact Colt Firearms for their warranty assistance. :eek: When the calls started to come in, Colt was forced to go public with the fact that these new "Signature Series" revolvers were "Colts in name only" as their press release to Guns & Ammo magazine stated.

If the gun you saw had a "Sam Colt signature" stamped on the backstrap, a grey box with the black "Colt" logo on it, or has been spoiled in any way - shot, cyl. turned or ringed - that's probably a bit too much money for it - even w/o any 'spoilage' - they're nice guns, but just not quite as good, IMHO as the 2nd Gen. "Authentics" - Griswold

That's right Timothy 1873 it is. That was the last Athentic Colt which means 1st generation. All 2nd generation Colt are replicas the value is high and they are collectable because the Conneticut Factory Burned. They were the last Colt of New Haven made. Bothwere made of parts supplied from Uberti/Italy and finnished in the U.S. The Colt of New York 3rd Gen. Colt Signature are fine Revolvers, and better fit and finnished than Uberti. They have been selling unfired and unturned for that price. I got a good deal on a Colt Dragoon and fired I can still sell for $500.

No, definitely NOT 1st gen

I think Griswold has got what I saw. I'll have to go look again to be sure.

Back