When are primers coming back?

Prof Young

Loaders:

Am curious to know if any of you have insight in or connections to the primer making industry?

I know there are many variables, but generally speaking do we have any idea when we might see primers on the shelves again?

Life is good
Prof Young

Loaded ammunition is starting to be more available. It is what gets priority for primers coming off the line. So watch your LGAs and other sources and when they have a good, consistent stock of ammunition available again, you will be able to figure primer stock is not too far behind. Months, not years.

been a lot hitting in the last couple of months you just have to be looking. Midway had some CCI 41's that were up for over 12 hours.

That's true. I'm thinking full supply. And once it becomes available, expect it to take some time for prices to come back down because they will have to fail to sell out before that can be expected.

I can deal with 80 per 1000 at my local store but they have been out over 6 months. But I'm not paying 150 on gunbroker. Hoping they drop back to 60 when all is said and done, but who knows

60$? More like $35 per 1000 would be a fair price. Doubling the price in just a year is really 'bad' inflation... We still have a couple years or so to go with you know who..... I can wait.

you mean beginning of 2020, over 20 months ago, they were $45 for 1000. earlier this year, they were about the same price as now. Here is the prices I have paid in last 18 months.

CCI41 $75-$85 have bought many.
SRP non match $65-$85 have bought many
Winchester SPP, SRP $75 have bought many
CCI400 SRP $75 have bought many
I have not seen match primers in stock in about 20 months, and I only shoot SRP and SPP.

Here is some help finding them:
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

make an account, setup an alert. My bet is that if you want to pay $110 shipped for 1000, you can buy 2-10k per month, bcause they come in stock all the time.

This week for example, Brownells had LPP and 7.62 primers in stock for DAYS.

Brownells limits you to 2 per kind, per day. Other places are selling 5k cases for $500.

I fear that primers generally not every where or all the time will become some kind of Bitcoin to a large section of firearm enthusiasts. If no more than just hoarding for bragging rights. We'v all seen the posts. "After the last panic I put in a lifetime supply" etc. So, not only do we have to wait for some form of normalcy but for every 30 something to acquire his/her lifetime supply. By the way, I have a lifetime supply of primers. Yeah, and I'm 74 and shot 1/10 what I used to.

you mean beginning of 2020, over 20 months ago, they were $45 for 1000. earlier this year, they were about the same price as now. Here is the prices I have paid in last 18 months.

CCI41 $75-$85 have bought many.
SRP non match $65-$85 have bought many
Winchester SPP, SRP $75 have bought many
CCI400 SRP $75 have bought many
I have not seen match primers in stock in about 20 months, and I only shoot SRP and SPP.

Here is some help finding them:
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

make an account, setup an alert. My bet is that if you want to pay $110 shipped for 1000, you can buy 2-10k per month, bcause they come in stock all the time.

This week for example, Brownells had LPP and 7.62 primers in stock for DAYS.

Brownells limits you to 2 per kind, per day. Other places are selling 5k cases for $500.
I'm waiting it out, I won't pay the crazy prices or haz mat shipping, I only buy powder and primers local whenever possible. I don't like paying 80 per 1000, but I will for a local store. Might pay 90. But I have no intention of paying more than 100 per 1000, local or shipped, if I must. Many people have the knee jerk reaction to buy al they can When things are scarce. I have followed a different path for many years. I set aside money each paycheck. When I find components I need I buy a reasonable ammount. Half is dedicated free to use, no rationing. Half is saved for my reserves so in shortages I can keep on shooting. Thus I can hunt, train, and plink at my normal rate for a couple more years before touching my reserves and starting to ration. I expect this will take another year or two to become stable. Primers will be higher, but less unreasonable and the money saved will go a lot farther to replenish my stores at a reasonable pace as I trudge slowly towards my lifetime supply.

I appreciate the guidance though, I hope many find is helpful. But Im Waiting it out, I hope it's not long, but there is no telling.

Last edited:
I'm waiting it out, I won't pay the crazy prices or haz mat shipping, I only buy powder and primers local whenever possible. I don't like paying 80 per 1000, but I will for a local store.

From everything I’ve seen, if you see primers right now at 80 + tax you probably should jump on it. Hazmat isn’t something to shy away from though. Just so you have some perspective, if all of this ever shakes out and sort of normalizes one day, the best deals I ever got were online orders with hazmat shipping. Grafs often had a pretty good sale on a product (rarely on primers, usually on a powder I needed), plus their prices were generally a bit lower than your average mom and pop. A decent deal on 5 or 8 lbs of powder usually more than makes up for having to pay hazmat and shipping, then anything you order on top of it is in essence free of the hazmat markup really. Sure you need to be prepared to spend $300. But to buy what you get for that $300 at cabelas or most mom and pop shops will cost $400. So long as you’re patient. Hazmat fees really aren’t something to fear if you keep your eyes peeled for a sale and order in bulk. Even with shipping and hazmat fees you will still spend less.

My local Sheels has primers for $60/brick...in stock. I was happy to pay for that just in case I don't see inventory again for a while. They had powder in stock for a great price, too.

Whether it's because it was their Grand Opening and had it all in stock beforehand or if they will be able to steadily provide longterm inventory is still up for debate, though...

Right now. I recently bought the first small rifle primers I've seen in two years and bought them from 2 different Academy's on 3 different occasions; 1100 primers, in lots of 300, 400, and 400. And just last night, SUNDAY night after a full weekend of customers, one of those Academy's still had LR primers and LP pistols available....I just didn't need any myself.

The biggest problem is that many non-reloaders are buying them up as soon as they are placed on the shelves. I've heard from a pretty reliable source that said by next summer; the volume should be back to normal.

I went by the local gunshop today and asked if there was any point in ordering SPP. They laughed. I asked about R17 powder avails and they said not yet, but maybe soon.

My local CAL Ranch store got CCI 500s in briefly, sold only by the 100 for $5.99. I and my family snagged enough to keep me going for a bit, then they ran out of those and got some Fed 205 SRP, and I snagged some of those as well. I would love to find primers for what I paid for them a year or two ago, but I doubt it will happen. Further supply will depend on two very shaky things - the incredibly disrupted supply chain and further political action by the psychos in D.C.

Back