Wheelweight codes - IAW and FN?

davidaker

Inactive
I have some WW that I'm getting ready and keep comeing across these codes. They appear to be be soft but I'm not sure of the contents. Is there a list of codes that anyone knows about?

Looking for Zinc ????

Most zinc weights have Zn on em or nuttin at all , most stik on zinc or steel have no markings .

To make sure any ??? 1s I try to cut with side cutters , you`ll know when ya find a zinc 1 ,I promise !!!

Here`s a pic of some I`ve found in my buckets , but by no means a complete compilation .

To be on the safe side just keep ya melt down around 650* or so & the zinc will float to the top . If ya got no thermometer just melt on low heat & be there when it all liquidfys (temp will be enuff to stir but not enuff to melt zinc , after all the zinc is out turn up the heat & finish cleaning ya alloy !!

:cool:

Feel fortunate ya got some wheel weights & cultivate your relationship with your source carefully !!!

102_0287.jpg

Last edited:
Recently got some stick on weights that were floating in my 35 lb. batch of melt and they werent pure lead. The times are changing and the watchdogs for the environment are pushing to remove lead from every possible source. If you remember they are nothing more than dense counter balance weights for wheels there are several new alloys out there that can fit the bill. Look at what is taking place with birdshot in shotgun shells.

Thanks for the responses. I've found only a low percentage of one marked Zn but I am seeing a lot of the stick-ons marked 1/4 Fe here in Colorado.

Of all the dangers of the world ???

A lead free world they think :rolleyes:

Any way I bet they can`t tell ya where lead comes from , mines the same as gold,silver& other precious metals , which all have an impact on our enviroment , lead is just the cheapest & most plentiful !!!

The liberals just make me wanna :barf:

Back