Wheel Weights

LAH

Been told you just can't make a good bullet with them thar things unless you add tin. Maybe I'll find some for the next batch.

Sometimes I add tin, sometimes I don't. If I'm mixing COWW and stick-ons I generally have to add it. I'm moving towards more straight COWW so hope to use less tin.

Looks a little shady to me. How many did you dig thru to fine that one perfect bullet there LAH? (just kidding Sir) Nice crisp looking cast you have there. I wish mine all turned out that way.

As far as tin being a necessity according to some. That being true. I would become my local hardware stores best customer in buying up all his solder if I were to mix it into all my batches on purpose. More often than not everything I put in my furnace to melt has tin in it. Maybe not much. But enough to get by on. Sometimes we get beauty's (as seen in this photo) and other times clouded looking leads. One thing for sure. Be it a thing of beauty or just a dull looking frosty. "They all end up down range no matter what."

S/S

Well there ya go, just think how purty those would have been had you added that tin. :eek: :D

When I started out a couple of years ago, I read, and read, and read, this, that, and the other, about what was needed to pour up the perfect bullets. This was well before I even poured my first ones up.

When I DID start, all I had was a 3/4 full bucket of VERY rusted up WW's and a couple of Lee 6 cavity molds. After smelting down those weights into clean pure WW ingots, I got busy pouring up my .452-300 RF's for the 454. It only took a few sessions to figure out that with the proper alloy temp, and a nice warmed up mold, those things would fall right out of the blocks, and shoot just wonderfully. I didn't then, nor now, worry too much about appearances as long as they were filling out and sizing properly. Besides when there leaving the muzzle ain't nobody going to give them a look see anyway.

Since then however, I have added a few different molds to the cabinet. In doing so I have found that with a couple of them I DID need a bit of tin added simply for fill out, due to the finely milled blocks. About the only other thing I have found a real need for tin has been with controlling expansion. If your pouring up HP's it is almost a must to have a balanced blend of it in your alloy, especially if your running things up over 1100fps.

Good post Mike. The bullet I pictured is one of the best ones of about 5 I picked up. I haven't inspected the bunch as it was late last night when I finished those. I may go through them tomorrow if I don't go to the range. Normally like all you guys know if the temp & timing is correct most all the bullets are nice but when you sell them you have to look them over for culls, mostly a rounded band or hole in the base. If they were for me I wouldn't be so picky. BTW this is a new mould for me & those are the first bullets cast.

Back