Whats your vote for...

I loved my 5mm magnum for squirrels until I found out a few years ago that ammo was very rare and expensive for it. Now it just stays in the safe and the remaining 300 rounds dont get shot :(

I have to agree with butch on that one. Plus it's much easier to hit a moving squirrel with a 410.

I vote for 410 because one of my buddies said "a 410 is the best darn squirrel rifle you can get" :)

Edward429451

I was raised up in cattle country, and we were taught very strict backstop rules for hunting with rifles. We weren't so much concened with hitting a human in the next county as someones cow.

I have hunted many a squirrel into the stew pot with a .22, but have hunted a zillion times more into the stew pot with a 410. With the .22 you have to have a shot that puts the bullet into a solid piece of the tree, which is an unnecessary pita if you are hungry for squirrel stew.

I will put it this way. The .22 is my preferred "hunting squirrels for sport" choice because then I am not actually concerned if I get one or not, and they are more fun to shoot that way.

The 410 though is my preferred "hunting squirrels for food" choice because it is, A: a safer choice and B: Will greatly improve the odds of eating squirrel that night. Although I have noticed that 410 shells have gotten pretty expensive.

And if any of you are shooting squirrels (or anything else) and not eating them, there is a special place in hell for you.

I know Butch, just kiddin around. I used to give my small game buddy the same crap for using a SG befor he moved away. He always got more than I did with my 22 b/c I couldn't always take the shot as you say. With a SG, it just seems too easy though!

I eat my squirrels too. Mmmmmustard! :p :D

Near my fathers place there is a pecan orchard, it has about 2,000 trees in it. If you know the owner he will let you hunt squirrels, but only with a .22. He doesn't want to sell pecans that might have shotgun pellets in them that could chip some unsuspecting persons teeth. He isn't afraid of lawsuits, because who could ever trace a pecan to it's source, but he is a gentleman and is doing what he thinks is right.

Guess how many squirrels you can find in 2,000 pecan trees? :D :D :D

I agree with Butch on the philosophy of hunting squirrels with either a shotgun or 22 rifle. You do have to be more careful with your shots with a rifle and anyone who isn't is a fool. I've also been "rained on" by shotgun pellets more than a couple of times while bow hunting... that makes you feel a bit creepy.

The pecan comment was interesting. Years ago (in Texas of all places), I was eating a steak at one of those quick steak places (Western Siz or something) and almost broke a tooth on shotgun pellets imbeded into the steak. No big thing until I kept finding them. Probably picked out 10 pellets from one steak. Those most have been big squirrels.

I too was also concerned about using a .22 because of the 1-and-a-half mile range that it has. So it looks like I will be using my 16ga. this season. Will the sixteen be a good choice for tree rats, or should I go to a smaller gauge?

Guages

Lefty...I would think 16 guage would be fine. I used to hunt with my buddy - I used a 20 guage and he used a 12 guage. Both worked fine (he had to be a bit more careful on close shots so as not to atomize them).

I agree with the others on the shot vs rifle issue. I personally don't want to have to worry about shooting somebody. My father-in-law told me how when he was a boy in Idaho riding home from school on his bike he took a stray .22 right in the mouth. No telling where it came from.

I also remember sitting out at grandpas house when folks were squirrel hunting in the woods across the road. He had a detached garage with a tin roof and every now and then you could hear the sprinkles as the shot rained down. At least it couldn't hurt you. :eek:

The pecan comment was interesting. Years ago (in Texas of all places), I was eating a steak at one of those quick steak places (Western Siz or something) and almost broke a tooth on shotgun pellets imbeded into the steak. No big thing until I kept finding them. Probably picked out 10 pellets from one steak. Those most have been big squirrels.

We definitely have some big squirrels in Texas, but squirrel "steak" is a treat I havent actually run into yet. :D

it depends on your budjet how far you are shooting etc. If you are close a 22lr will do the job but if you are shooting farther a 22mag will do the job and you will have more fun to. How much damage and how will the squirls fly with a 17hmr i heard they have some good smach with a smoking 2550 fps:D

I prefer my 10/22. Since I have put a bull barrel, laminate stock, and 4.5-14 scope on it, it isn't quite as handy as it used to be to carry around, but it still points well. In my experience, a good rimfire is more accurate to greater range and a good hollow point is more effective at most ranges than smaller round pellets. With my 10/22, I know I can thread a single projectile through the canopy 50 yards when the bushy tail shows up where I did't think he would. Also, when I am hunting squirrels, I am usually also on the look out for rabbits and tree squirrels as well. My dad refuses to load #6 or 4 shot and I have seen too many ground squirrels and rabbits with patterns of 7 1/2 shot centered on them escape to holes or nearby cover. The only time I use a scattergun any more is when I know I am in a more residential area. Then I will take my Wingmaster out.

Back