What's your opinion of this S&W Mod 19?

LEAD POISON

I have a nickel-plated S&W Mod 19 .357 combat magnum that my dad gave me in about 1979. I have put only about 500rds through it (it is in mint comdition). It has adjustable sights; and believe me, they are zeroed. This gun is a great pleasure to shoot ( I plan on shooting it more often) super accurate, reliable etc. I was just wondering what your opinion of this firearm is and an estimate of its market value.
Thanks for your time. :)

Because of the surplus of M19s, M66s on the market, they're not worth much. I see the blued ones go for around $200-250. However, that your father gave it to you makes it invaluable and no price can be placed on it.

Best general purpose revolver ever built.Will never part with mine.I just retimed it after 40,000 plus rounds

I paid $295.00 18 months ago for an unfired Model 19-3 Nickle finish without the box.
I paid $250.00 18 months ago for an unfired Model 19-3 Blue finsh with the priginal box.

In N.E. Ohio, yours should fetch about the same to the right buyer.

That being said,,,,ditto to what Gary said.

My opinion?
It's been in the high 80's the past week, with humidity to match. If I had to sell my Model 19 to buy/repair the air conditioner, I'd just sweat it out.
(To give you an idea of how strong that statment is, I took the A/C over surgery a few years ago.)

My Model 19 is my favorite handgun, period. I'll never part with it voluntarily. They might not fetch much on the used market, but that's because the high-capacity/polymer guns are more in vogue than those "antiquated" wheelguns. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Model 19 as a serious combat handgun...as C.R.Sam stated, it's the finest general-purpose handgun ever built. The fact that it was your father's 19 makes it invaluable.

I purchased a Model 19 new in 1974, blue with 4" bbl. Although this K frame gun will take full house .357 mag loads, I wouldn't recommend a steady diet of it. More like .38 special or +P's. I trained my mother with this gun and gave it to her for home protection. She is 84 and lives alone. .38's are just fine with her. BTW, the fit and finish of this gun are under appreciated. I can see it increeasing in value as the years go by.

I have a Pa. State Police 75th Anniv.
Model 19 never fired. Seems a shame but
the last one I saw sell went for $1250.
I haven`t seen a used one lately but I`d
jump at a shooter if I find one.

A lot of us have guns that were passed
down or given as gifts. My Model 10
service gun was a gift from my aunt when
I was in the academy 27 years ago. She
passed away last year and I`ll never sell it!

Back