What's your favorite hardwood (for grips)?

What's your favorite hardwood (for grips)?

• Walnut

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Goncalo Alves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pau Ferro

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Lamo Camo

• Rosewood

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Kingwood

• Tulipwood

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Coco Bolo

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
Mine had always been a tossup between Coco Bolo and the darker grades of Pao Ferro (rare). I just got a set of Kim Ahrends' Moradillo, for a round-butt N frame, and ordered another set before I had them on the gun. NICE!!!!!

I picked "other", as I have grips in; Pao Ferro, Cocobolo, Tulipwood and Purpleheart and I like them all. I don't think there is "one" best hardwood, as it all boils down to what looks good to YOU. Another factor for me has been the way manufacturers finish their grips. Most I've purchased I've sanded and refinished myself. This way I can end up with the more rounded and thinner profiles that I like. On my Springfield, the cocobolo grips it came with were much too sharp for my comfort, so I sanded them down, refinished with tung oil. Now I have the grips I would have had to pay someone $60-70 for!

Also zebrawood, zircote, ebony, and curley maple, I've made grips from all of these, but the next pair I make will be a set of Jordan grips for a S&W model 10, these will be styled after the picture in his classic book and I will obtain a choice piece of English Walnut for this chore.

Back