what's your favorite GP-100 Model

I have both the 4" and 6" versions, with full shrouds, adjustable sights, and stainless steel (models KGP-141 and KGP-161). A local gun-shop (Houston) has these listed for $369.

Since I use these for target shooting, plinking, pest control, and self-defense, I don't mind the extra weight nor the shinier metal. I like the adjustable sights since I shoot both light target loads and heavy magnums. The extra weight from the full shrouds are nice when shooting magnums, but can be a pain if you plan on packing them much. I think the blued guns look better, but the stainless steel ones are much easier to clean (since they can tolerate harsher cleaners/brushes) and they resist rust better than the blued guns. I also don't have to be as careful about minor scratches or holster-wear with the SS.

I don't use these for concealed carry on my body (I have a SP-101 2.25" 357Mag for that), but I do use the 4" for self-defense at home and in my car. The 6" obviously has a longer sight radius and is heavier, but I find the 4" a great comprimise between the SP-101 and the 6" GP-100 when in confined spaces.

I hope this helps. It's kind of hard to answer your question when you weren't clear on what/how you intend to use the gun.

If I was going to pick one, I would get the KGPF-341. It has a 4" barrel with a full shroud. 4" is a great length for both open and concealed carry. I am also a sucker for stainless steel, which that one is. Plus it has fixed sights - one less thing to go wrong.

KGP-141, is my favorite GP-100 series. Can't beat Rugers Stainless steel, and the size and balance is good for concealed carry.

Toss on another vote for the KGP-141. The 4" version can be actually be carried, it is strong as an ox, and reliable as could be.

I use a blued 3" full shroud fixed sight gp-100 as a heavy-clothing carry gun. Trigger job, radiused ("Bill Jordan") trigger, ashley tritium front sight. It conceals well and handles full power loads without too much discomfort.

As fer hunting/target shooting - I'd have to vote 4 or 6" full shroud adjustable sight.

4" barrel, stainless steel with full heavy barrel and adj sights. I find this model is a great do it all revolver...accurate, handles .357 recoil well, and is a lot easier to carry than the 6" version.

The GPs are basically all the same weapon with different trim versions. I highly recommend the adjustable sights for target shooting. As far as blue or stainless, 4 or 6 in barrell, go with your preferences. Stainless is a little more forgiving than the blue, but appearance wise, it's just a matter of taste. The 4" barrel is easier to conceal than the 6", the 6 inch might give you a hair more accuracy depending on your experience level and abilitities.

That said, I have the KGP141 - stainless, 4" with adjustable sights. Love it!

My Favorite

The one I have silly...

KGPF-331

3 inch barrel
stainless steel construction
fixed sights
compact rubber grips

Simply the toughest fighting revolver ever built. As accurate as any S&W I've ever fired (without any smithing I might add). Great feel, low maintenance, and easy on the check book.

Doesn't get any better than this!!!

My favorite is the one I own, 4" stainless, full underlug adjustable sites. Your favorite will depend on what you want it to accomplish for you.

"Since I use these for target shooting, plinking, pest control, and self-defense,..."

I think you'll enjoy the 6" version more, easier to shoot accuratly with the longer site radius, better velocity from the longer barrel, it should fit your needs well.

Ruger KGP-161

Yep I sure like the KGP-161 And here is a picture to brighten your day.
The why, I like the extra weight From the heavy barrel, the adjustable sights and 2 more inches for added accuracy and speed.Also I have always liked stainless steel.

976040750.jpg

Tony

Here's another vote for the KGP 161 GP-100. It's an excellent, tough gun that looks good to boot. :D SamC

KGP-141

Own two, both weraing Pachmayr decelerators and Millett orange-ramp front sight blades.

I like the because: they feel correct in my hand, they are reliable, durable, easy to maintain, extremely accurate (with correct ammo), and the right size.

Ruger doesn't make the type I want :)

I'm shopping for a full-size .357. What I want is a blue, adjustable-sight, lighter-barrel variant with add-on shorter round-butt grips, an Ashley Express V-notch rear blade and small Tritium front, plus trigger job and Wolff spring kit.

Now, we still have a problem, but it's minor. Allow me to rant a sec here:

WHY IS IT FREEDOM ARMS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT UNDERSTANDS REVOLVER SIGHTS!?!

A revolver needs a dovetailed rear sight about 3/4ths of an inch forward along the topstrap. NOT hanging back getting in the way of the friggin' hammer!

*Every* revolver maker active today gets it wrong, except Freedom Arms. DA, SA, it don't matter. The rear sight has no business anywhere near the hammer.

@#*$*$^#&%$#!#@$

Back