What's Your Favorite Drill?

Vermonter

Weapon Glock 27

Drill. 10 rounds draw fire two per target. Address five targets effectively in ten seconds. My worst time was 12.9 my best was 8.4. I averaged at 11 seconds. I missed four non scrabble shots out of fifty and they stayed on the silhouette so not too shabby
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1330313909.127185.jpg

This is an awesome drill. So let's make this a thread about awesome drills. Post your favorite drill and let's discuss.

attachment.php

It's a tossup between DeWalt and Ridgid.
I don't do "drills", dance steps, or dive and rolls-I shoot targets or whatever I choose.

Here's one of my favorites.
It involves just about everything to practice, especially with a mag change or two.
It's kind of hard to set up and run at a regular style range, though.
Your backyard would be just fine, you lucky fellow.

Attachments

• tacticalsix-2.jpg
    tacticalsix-2.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 59
I like shooting the Texas Star, especially when the top half of the star is behind cover so you have to shoot the bottom plates.

2 shots to COM, 2 to pelvic region while moving. Forward, backward, left, right. And yes Deaf, you can stand still if you want. Those of you who are so proud of your drills, you can use them to mount your targets;)

OK guys, the power drill jokes were kinda funny at first...... kinda.

After the first time though, it got old really quick, so you'll notice that a bunch of posts were deleted.

The OP asked a legitimate question. Let's give him some legitimate answers, shall we?

I don't mind the jokes but someone deleted my good natured post and I'm the op lol. Anyway I ask because around me there is no IDPA IPSC or the like.

For now The only training I get is very home grown so I am just trying to spice things up.

Vermonter, try YouTube "Armed Response Training". David Kenlik and others have some very good drills to practice. There are also many other good training videos on YouTube if you do a search for handgun training.

Good luck in your quest.

Maybe not the most practical but I like to put out 19 water filled 2 liter bottles from 5 yards to 200 yards. Start out with 2 holstered guns on my belt and one in my shoulder holster and start walking forward. No extra ammo on my person.

I use two revolvers ,357 and 44 mag and my 45 pistol. I have to start walking, draw and shoot while walking. If I miss I have to back up 3 steps and shoot again, no advancing till I get that bottle. Object is to get to the last bottle with all of them shot and no ammo in my guns.

Haven't done it yet but came within two bottles a couple of times. Worst day after doing this for some time was 19 shots fired, 3 bottles gone and I was at the starting line because of all the backing up I had to do.

I like to line up 1 gal jugs at the 100 yard line, and try to see how many shots from the sub compact 9mms I own to hit them. I also shoot them with the other handguns I own too. Last week I hit one with the first shot with my Mod 67-1 Smith 4 inch. My Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag it is like they are not that much of a challenge anymore.

I also like stapling playing cards to the target boad, have another deck. Shuffle and cut the card facing up is the target. At 5 yards I have 5 seconds to identify the card and shoot it. I do this game with friends a lot. The object is to get 5 cards. If you miss or shoot the wrong card you loose your turn, and next time around start over with zero.

We do this drill alot with rifles, but it works equally well and is just as fun with handguns.

We call it 7-up.
Get 7 medium sized boxes and number them 1 thru 7. Write the numbers large enough to be easily seen at 15-30 yards. Then tape a 10 inch balloon to the top of each box. The balloons can be larger or smaller depending on skill level of the shooters.
The shooter turns his/her back to the range and others place the boxes, scrambling the order and mixing up the range btween targets.

The shooter starts with an empty pistol. When the timer starts, the shooter must turn around, slap in the magazie and shoot the balloons in numbered order as fast as they can.
We will usually limit the magazines to 10 rounds each. This levels the field for those shooting low-capacity guns; and also penalizes the shooter with a reload, should he miss a few targets.
Shooters are disqualified for shooting targets out of order.

It's a really fun little exercise to do, it involves accuracy at different angles and ranges, quick judgement and target aquisition, and introduces a little freindly competition to an outing at the range.

Yeah it's alot of fun.
After a few rounds, put the boxes in perfect order from left to right. For some reason it really messes with the shooter to have them aligned correctly. I think people overthink it and constantly feel like they are doing it in the wrong order.:confused:

For now The only training I get is very home grown so I am just trying to spice things up.
You are so fortunate. Probably most of us don't get the chance to do anything like this, as most are stuck with indoor ranges that are full of rules that prevent this type of thing. I always wanted land that permitted me to shoot in my own backyard, but alas, even my new home doesn't provide it. What it does provide is 2 ranges that are within a few miles that are both owned by the same people. When I move, I will be joining post-haste.

With the risk of sounding like a broken record:
For those who don't have access to a range that allows meaningful practice, the magic word is "AirGuns"
When our local club instituted a new batch of rules and regulations, prompted by some very irresponsible behavior, it became more or less useless for serious shooting practice.
But thanks to the modern and very realistic airguns that have become available recently, I can do even more elaborate routines at home that I used to do at the range.
It's proven very effective.
The blowback models of airguns, both airsoft and pellet versions, are plenty realistic enough to take up the slack, so to speak.

.357 Blackhawk

Load one chamber with a shell (.38 or downloaded 357 if you have one). Spin it. Without looking load another with a .357. Took me a wile to get the motion down so I could do this without looking.

Spin it, close the gate, dry fire till both are gone.

Focus on keeping that front sight rock steady. (I use the blackhawk because the GP100 still allows you to see the edges of the cartridges in the loaded chambers.)

Back