What's Wrong?

BOGE

Yesterday, I bought a S&W Schofield clone that is in immaculate condition for a song. Here's the problem: the cylinder does not turn when the barrel is pointed level or upward! When the gun is pointed downward it functions fine! There is some sort of bar in front of the hammer that I can visually see engaging or not engaging during hammer cocking. What gives? I think it's the so-called "lawyer friendly" internal safety malfunctioning, but obviously I am not a gunsmith. Opinions?

Ok I'll take a shot at this ;)
Using commonsense, I'd say that there is a BROKEN/MISSING or DISLODGED spring on the lever, that's why when the gun's pointed down the lever dis-engages & the cylinder turns !
Hey George, am I correct? :D

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

Boge, I think HS means the hand and it sounds right to me. The spring that causes the hand to hold forward through its slot and engage the cylinder is not doing its job. Or at least that is what it sounds like. I'm assuming that the cylinder isn't moving backward when you point the gun skyward. George

Well, I think you're both right. Today I talked to a gunsmith @ the range who handled said gun. He said the hand spring is broke. I've already e-mailed EMF about parts as I have another gunsmith who is going to do a trigger job on an Uberti this coming weekend and I see no reason why he can't try to resolve this also. Thanks fellas!

Back