What's wrong with the pump rifle?

adad

Everybody likes pump shotguns, nobody seems to like or own pump rifles. I don't get it. Here are the benefits that I see in a pump rifle:

1. Accurate as a bolt
2. Fast as a semi-auto
3. Simple/reliable as a bolt

In a .223 caliber this seems like it'd be a great "urban-defense" alternative but Remington and Browning are the only major gun makers that make a pump rifle and the smallest caliber they have is .243.

What do you-all think about a Remington 7600 for an urban defense gun, in .243?

And, in general, why don't more folks appreciate the advantages I've mentioned above? Are there some obvious disadvantages I've missed? Does anyone even own a pump rifle?

Lotsa Pa deer hunters use the various pumps, all made by Remington. I've owned one myself.

While the most accurate pump rifle is not as accurate as the most accurate bolt gun, it works well enough for most purposes.

The weak point in thr design is the mag. It holds 3-4 rounds, the lockup is shaky, and aftermarket mags of greater capacity are on the flimsy side.

For hunting, the pumps work well enough. For HD,Urban Unrest, etc, they're a little too light duty,IMO.

A better choice in manually operated action types for you might be a lever action. And, I believe Browning makes theirs in 243.

I don't think pumps will ever be as accurate as a bolt gun, but bolts will never be as fast as the pump gun.

The Germans now have a new pump gun. What makes it unique is that it is a bull pup! Called a Griffrepetierer (Grip repeater - you pump the grip to work the action), it is made by PrazisionWaffen (Precision Weapon), it features a grip safety and is availble in .243 Win, .270 Win, 6.5x57, 7x64, .308 Win, 30-06, 8x57 IS, 8x68S, 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 7mm Rem Mag, .300 Win, .338 Win. Mag. It features a 5 shot detachable magazine .

4 models are made. The hunting model with a wood stock and engraved side panels (3480 marks). An all weather (allwetter) hunting model with plastic stock at 3440 marks, (and it's Assault-black in color), a heavy barrel match model (different wood foreend and muzzle brake) at 3998 marks and finally, a sport model with polymer stock (6mm Norma, 308 Win and 300 Win Mag only) and heavier barrel at 3580 marks.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

DPMS makes a .223 pump. The Panther Pump is a "pump AR15". It can use any AR mag, giving you 30 rds of "home defense", and since it is a pump, you can have the "evil" flashider, bayonet lug, multi-position stock, etc. It is a little expensive though, suggested retail is $1695.
bergie

That Panther Pump looks very nice! I'm suprised they're the only ones who've come up with this great idea.

Now, how'm I gonna 'splain why I really, really *need* a 1700 gun to the 'ole spousal unit... Hmmmmmm.....

Thanks for the info!

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.str.org/cgi-local/reflections.pl[/URL" TARGET=_blank>
[URL=http://www.str.org/cgi-local/daily_commentary.pl
</A>

The only drawback I can see with a pump is the slide tends to make some noise (rattles a bit) when trying to sneak dark timber. Accurate enough not to matter in any practical encounter & is very quick. Got an old 760 in 30-06 & love it but it's not my primary.

.243 would ruin the day for any "thin-skinned game."

The SouthAfricans have given us a Pump action 5.56mm rifle wich utilizes a detachable magazine. It looks like it is made out of an R4/Galil receiver.

Nothing wrong with pump guns. Dad still hunts with a remington 760 in 30-06, for the use you suggest I'd go with a 308, the only problem dad has had is witrh REALLY hot loads the action can lock up until the brass cools. Use standard pressure loads and this will not happen.

Also in severe cold weather the firing pin froze up.. we firgured it was a case of uberlubrication/getting water frozen inside the trigger mechanism.

Still a very nice rifle.

Dr.Rob

I've got Frank Barnes' "Cartidges of the World" from the library (7th ed.) and under the 223 Remington entry, he says "At one time the Reminton Model 760 slide action was available in 223." Has anyone actually seen such a critter in decent condition?

Thanks!

------------------
http://www.str.org/cgi-local/daily_...en edited by adad (edited December 28, 1999).

Dr. Rob,

Does the 308 kick much less than the 30-06? I've shot my dad's Ruger bolt-action 30-06 at targets and didn't like the experience much.

Thanks!

------------------
[URL=http://www.str.org/cgi-local/daily_commentary.pl
</A>

Adad,

.308, for all practical purposes, would kick just as much as the 30-06 & really, would be just as effective in either caliber. Only advantage, if you could call it that, would be a slightly shorter stroke on the pump due to the slightly smaller catridge length.

BTW, 180s out of the 760 beats me up after a few. But I'm a lightweight. ;)

I have a Remington 7600 in .308 with a synthetic stock. I bought it new ($300) as sort of a project gun (I am enamored of the scout rifle concept) Some random comments:
-The 7600, if I recall correctly, was, when itroduced years ago, advertised as a bolt action without the bolt (the lockups are similar).
-Everything that I've read about the 7600 indicates that it will shoot better, sometimes alot better, than you would expect. (Mine shoots better than I can, but that's not necessarily a compliment :) )
-The pump action is faster than you will ever need to shoot.
-If you look, there is a wealth of aftermarket goodies for this gun. I've seen, among other things (but have yet to experiment with) three makers of 10 round mags, receiver sights-peep or ghost ring (I've never liked Remington's standard rear sight), and plenty of scope mounts. Leupold, in addition to its excellent traditional scope mounts, introduced a bolt-on forward scope mount for long eye relief scopes for the 7600, the 7400 and the Model 7 in 1999.
-Aftermarket stocks designed for the Remington 870 shotgun will fit the 7600 with very little modification. I have a Butler Creek folding stock on mine (probably not for long however).

The gun is by no means perfect, but it's alot of fun to play with. My biggest complaint is about the magazine release being small and hard to maipulate. The action is the same length for all calibers, so you are better off with a 30-06 than a .308 unless you have a barn full of the latter. I wish they made a stainless steel version.

I'm off to check my temperature, I never type this much.

Back