Whats wrong with the Colt Double Eagle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirk21

Inactive
I was in a local gunshop and a gentleman brought in a Colt Stainless Double Eagle 45 and traded it in, the dealer stated "OHH Not Again" and I looked as he put it in the case with two others just like it. What is the problem and what is a decent price if I wanted to make him an offer. He paid $470 for it. Thanks

I don't have firsthand experience with the Double Eagles, but I remember reading that the trigger mechanism was very delicate and prone to breakage. The guns were essentially single action 1911's that were hastily designed to be double action pistols. They just don't have a great rep as a durable or reliable weapon. Can't say what they'd be worth though.

JMB was right on the money with the trigger assembly being delicate. We were on the range one day and one of our guys was qualifying with a double eagle. He ejected the mag and all sorts of interesting parts and peices came out along with it. This is my only experience with that model.

The earliet versions had those parts and pieces flying everywhere if you took the grip panels off. The grip panel is what held the springs and trigger pieces in the frame. I am VERY surprised that the dealer gave the guy $470 for the gun.

The Mark I edition of the Double Eagle had problems with the trigger assembly. It also had pieces fly off if you took the grips off. The original trigger had a very short double action pull. If you pulled the trigger very slowly, the trigger may not reset for the the next shot. The Mark II corrected the trigger. It has a longer and smoother pull. Colt reoriented the pieces under the grips to where the the grips do not hold little springs and such in place anymore. The Mark II Double Eagle is a wonderful weapon. It is totally reliable. I personally like the decocking lever. It is fairly accurate and is comfortable to shoot. If you make sure that you get a Mark II, you will get a very under appreciated pistol. The downside is if you choose to carry it, it is difficult to get over the counter holsters. I know that Kramer will make them. The other issue is that to my knowledge, there are no after market grips to replace the plastic grips (although, the plastic grips are not too bad). Like I said, If you can get a Mark II at a reasonable price, I would not hesitate to get one. IMHO

Scott Weaver

Hastily designed?? Seecamp's converts are cursing your name hahahaha. ;)

As I recall from an old Shooter's Bible the Double Eagle started off as a 9mm prototype pistol called the ASP (as in what cleopatra snuggled up with). The ASP used a modified Seecamp action but had a "short stroke double action" trigger and was eventually upsized to .45 when Colt opted NOT to pursue an all new 9mm auto loader. The design was reorked into the double eagle by taking an ALL NEW lower and mating it to a series 80 upper (ala seecamp).

I wanted to buy one of these but after reading of "flying parts" on the mark 1 I'm glad i didn't. The gun sits higher in your hand than with a standard 1911.. and it feels slightly awkward to me... compared to MY ODI/Viking Seecamp Colt.

You can usually find used and sometimes NEW double eagles at gun shows for around $400. The commander sized guns going for closer to $500.

Colts.. there are like my thing ya know?

Dr.Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back