What's wrong with my 44 mag Redhawk?

FoghornLeghorn

I went to the range today with my Ruger Redhawk and 1 1/2 boxes reloads.

Two rounds acted like they had high primers. Dragging against the recoil shield from the 2 oclock to the 10 oclock positions.

One of the reloads was with new brass and I was careful to seat the primers properly.

Thing is, my reloads have always worked fine in my 3 screw Super Blackhawk, and in both my 29-2 S&W revolvers. The Redhawk is a recent acquisition.

thanx

Check for dings or burrs on the rims. Eyeball the primer heights. Some old brass had shallow or radiused primer pockets; if your brass is really old, you might have some of those.

How does your Redhawk work with factory ammo?

Fine, for the few rounds of factory I fired. I checked the box. I only fired two cylinders full, but they were fine. The gun is uncontrollable with full charge magnum loads.

Does the Redhawk have close tolerances? I've owned several Redhawks in the past, and I don't remember this issue.

It's a recent acquisition btw. I bought it used off Gunbroker. Yesterday was only its third range trip.

It's a recent acquisition btw. I bought it used off Gunbroker.
How well has it been scrubbed clean - with particular attention being paid to under the star extractor?

My S&W M19 got that way when I shot really dirty Red Dot handloads.

I hated using that power so much I dumped the 3/4 full can of it I had on the front yard as fertilizer...never looked back.

Compare the fired case primers to the same reloads before.
If you shot all your reloads up,
save these fired cases and compare them to your next batch.
A good magnifying glass will help.

Are your throats clean? I don't reload 44 but what bullets re you using? All same profile o different - i.e. swc and then a rn where maybe powder fouling is built up a rear of throat enough to push cartridge back enough for interference with coil shield? Are you shooting cast where you might have slight bulge in case? Do you he a cartridge gauge to try them in to see if they are up to spec? I had similar issue not long ago in a 38 using my own cast wc that dropped at around .359 - decided not to size them to .358 and I didn't run them through my Lere FCD - just FL sized, flared, seated and used a seater die to put a very minimal roll crimp on them - the wc extended out of the case - had similar issue as you and when I slid some in my cartridge gauge, discovered some had very minimal bulge - I was using mixed heads tmp range brass and just enough difference in wall thickness on some to use the issue. The revolver I was shooting has tighter chambers.

wrong

If your revolver is runs a steady diet of mixed factory ammo well, logic says there is something about your reloads.........not the gun. Just sayin'.

Back