Whats with Beretta's Stainless Steel finish on the 92FS?

UZI4U

Has anyone seen this gun? Beretta stamped on the barrel and the slide the word Stainless. Can you believe this? Why not stamp blued on the black 92FS. The receiver doesn't quite match the slide. The slide release and the magazine release looks like it was painted with spray paint. I use to own a Taurus 92PT compact and that gun's finish was beautiful. The finish was pretty much consistent throughout the gun, unlike the Beretta. My Taurus PT92 had a mirror image almost. I had my heart set on acquiring a stainless steel version of the Beretta 92 but that finish just turns me off. I wonder how many people chose the Taurus stainless steel 92 over the Beretta stainless steel because of Beretta's stupid decision to go with that ugly finish. It seems Beretta was penny wise dollar foolish. I like Beretta I just find it hard to believe that they chose that ugly finish over a mirror image stainless steel finish.

The Taurus has a stainless steel frame... the Beretta frame is anodized aluminum. As Aluminum can't be polished to a mirror finish, the stainless slide is left "rough" to match as close as possible. I'm not sure what you see as far as the slide-stop and mag release go, mine are stainless and match the gun perfectly.

As far as marking the bbl "stainless," I believe all Beretta barrels are stainless. The ones with the least imperfections are set aside to go with the Stainless guns and the others are parkarized (sp?) black. I may be wrong about that, but that's what I've been told.

As far as being put off by the finish, I guess that's just a matter of preference. Personally, I'll take a Mercedes with a less than perfect paint job over a Chevy any day. I have three Stainless Beretta's and they all look great to me :).

Stainless is wonderful if that's your passion. I have always enjoyed the dark matte finishes available due to the low flash factor.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Back