Whats up with my Glock?

Opie-IN

What could cause the breech face of my glock to have little chunks taken out of it from the top of the firing pin hole all the way to the top of the slide. Its like someone took a chisel and hit it a couple of times there. Could this be from an aftermarket barrel that wasnt fitted correctly? I checked to see if my barrel was causing this, and it appears to me that my barrel is not rubbing where teh groove is. I posted over at Glock Talk but didnt get much as far as answers. The groove is maybe 1/32 of a inch deep and runs all the way to the top of the slide. It is visible from the top of the slide. Maybe this is common with some Glocks, but I have owned 5 before and never seen this before. Gun supposedly has about 750 rounds thru it, and that sounds about right from looking at it. Is this a problem?

I think the breach face is just getting scraped by the brass case rim. My 19 has similar breach face markings. I bought it as a rebuilt gun with the Glock Warranty card, all numbers (and wear) matching and light markings on the breach face. There are a few more marks on the breach face since I have owned it, but nothing that has caused me concern. I did have a Glock Rep take a look at it for me soon after I bought it and was told it happens on all guns to some degree and was normal. (Even my SIGs have some of these small marks.) Unless it is causing reliability problems I wouldn't worry about it. You should still have a Glock Rep or a gunsmith look at it to be on the safe side.

Weird isn't it?

My G21 has these same marks and got them after only 200 rounds fired. I bought it new several years ago. Since then, I have put an additional 1,100 rounds through the G21 and the marks are a little worse--almost to the point where it is getting me concerned. What is weird is that my G26 has fired more rounds and has no marks!

I was gonna' tell you how bad my Glocks had been beat up like this, but all four look fine, no chunks out of the breechface...

Opie-IN,

It would be nice to see a pic of your breechface. From your description it sounds like you have one of the older guns where Glock just didn't take much care in machining the breechface. Several of mine exhibit these marks. They are left by the cutter and have no impact on the function of the firearm. The brass rim of a cartridge is not tough enough to gouge your slide.
Recent production Glocks that I have seen have a much smoother cut.

Tupper, these marks are definatly not machining marks. looks like someone took a screwdriver, lined it up perfectly above my firing pin hole and popped it a couple a times with a hammer, I dont have a camera or I would get you some pics.

Opie: You didn't give as complete a description of the problem on GT. There were a few defective slides, in which the breechface was damaged as you described. You need to send your pistol to Glock. They'll probably replace the slide.

Update

Called Glock this morning and they told me to send it in. I guess if anyone else had this problem you can send yours back too, he acted like it wasnt a big deal. The gun needed the upgrade for the old glocks anyway, so its off to Glock

Keep one thing in mind. Unless you're an Armorer, Glock will tell you to send it in even if you call and say it's dirty.
In any case, I would still follow what Walter said.

Back