What's this "Rule of 96" thing?

Mom T

Basically I'm new to shotgunning. I have an old 12 guage K-mart O/U made by Boito that a friend gave me eight years ago. I use it to shoot informal trap on occasion. That is the extent of my shotgun knowledge.

I've seen mention of the "rule of 96" a few times and was just wondering what it's all about.

Thanks in advance for the info and good shooting.

Basically, it means a sporting shotgun used for wingshooting should weigh 96 times the payload. So, if you're shooting a 1 oz load, the shotgun should weigh 6 lbs. Much lighter, heavy recoil,much heavier, you're carrying too much weight. Note, this was invented by the Brits, who are fanatical about properly fitting stocks and well balanced shotguns.

Yes - that last comment is very relevant indeed, heavier guns especially if to be used with reloads are far better for safety/legal reasons.

Shotgun reloading is not very popular in UK and it is anyway actively discouraged by government, so lighter guns are OK. [I saw some 1" of barrel(muzzle end) off a Brit gun being cut off with a knife after damage in the field!... It was THAT thin!!!]

Remember soft buttpads and muzzle compensators + weight adjustments/balance weights on individual guns can make the 96 rule unreliable when buying a gun IMHO.

------------------
If we shooting sportspersons don't hang together... we will all hang separately !
Never knock another's different shooting interest or discipline...REMEMBER we are all but leaves on the same tree of freedom.

Back