What's the word on a Model 95 in .405

Alex Johnson

Is Browning bringing out the Model 95 in 405 once again? I heard this, but haven't seen any verification yet. If I can get hold of one I'll restock it like the one I saw a few years ago in the Rifle magazine with an English walnut stock and express sights.

I don't know, but if I see or hear the phrase "Teddy Roosevelt's 'lion medicine'" one more time I'm going to scream.

Jeff, better start screaming
smile.gif

Alex, go to www.winchester-guns.com click on historical rifles and follow the links to the 1895. According to the website they are available.

[This message has been edited by fal308 (edited April 20, 2000).]

After reading boddington's safari rifles, you'd think one MUST have a classic double or 375 bolt gun to go to africa. I wonder, is the 405 winchester a 'dangerous game" round or not?

It would make a really cool addition to the safe.. and might even make that trip to africa.

Dr.Rob

Depends on what you mean by dangerous game.

Light-skinned dangerous game like Lion or the other cats? Yes, plenty of power.

Elephant, rhino, or Cape Buffalo?

How badly do you want to be ground into the African veldt?
eek.gif

I've fired a couple of 95s in various calibers, including .405. Stock design on the originals, quite frankly, sucked. Too much drop, too narrow, and the ones with the crescent buttplates? Killers.

The shotgun stocked ones (I fired one in .30-40 and another in .40-72) are easier because they have better stock proportions.

Back