What's the verdict on the Taurus Titanium (ported .357 7-shot snubby)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Bull

Are the Taurus Titamium snubbies anywhere hear as good as the S&W?

I would just go with S&W except that Taurus offers what I think is the ultimate: the 7-shot .357 snubbie at 19 ounces!

I like the idea of 7 rounds of .357 in a lightweight pocket gun.

What I am not sure about, besides the brand, are the porting. I don't want my face seared by flames if I have to shoot it low to my side, and I don't want my nightvision affected. But, on the other hand, maybe with a snubbie, it really does not matter because the muzzle flash is going to be so huge anyway.

I haven't looked into the Taurus Ti because of the porting. I feel that porting is a BIG no-no for a carry piece. I often carry a Taurus 38 Ultralite (clone of S&W airweight) which seems to be a good compromise between size/weight and shootability. If I were to use a Ti gun, I'd bite the bullet and get the S&W instead of the Taurus.

For a lw 357 porting is absolutely essential to having a controllable gun. Porting is ONLY an issue at night, and all guns have some flash. One way to work porting to your advantage is to blink you eyes the moment the trigger is pulled; the flash will then ruin the attackers night vision instead of yours(if he is close enough).

If you want to get a review of the TI check out jan 2000 version of guns and ammo. I found it on the shelf of my local exxon station. the authors opinion of the gun was not good from what i picked up. The author says that the gun produces "heavy recoil" and major "muzzle flash" and that multishot action in self defense "is not an option". He also says that the muzzle brake does not make enough of a diffrence to make the gun truly controllable. Also the amount of flash is enough to totally ruin ones vision to the point you will lose your balance. Of course you cant take the word of every author you read. But a 357 mag. in a lightweight package and with a ported barrel means major recoil and flash. and to me that equals a hard hitting 357 that is almost totally uncontrolable after the 1st shot. If I had to rely on this piece to save my life and didnt have a choice, of course id take it. But you have a choice.

just my $.2

------------------
TIM : )

Is there an issue here with the 357 being shot from such a short-barreled gun? I've heard that all significant benefit of the 357 caliber is lost if it is not given a sufficient length of barrel.

Given the factor of decreased controlability and 357 performance (if valid), I would go with the 38.

All in theory,

Spencer

would this be an ideal? shooting 38+p or +p+
in the ti 7 shot taurus? would that be the same as shooting a 357mag?

I have tested numerous 38 ammo in snubbies and found a load that does not produce too much noise or muzzle flash and only moderate recoil. It is a 158 gr JHP or semi-wadcutter with some (forget which) fast powder, loaded to the top of 38 chart. Very accurate, comfy to fire...and available only as a handload, thanks to one of my friends with a Dillon rig.

All defense and practice ammo I have seen produced major flash and serious noise...and not any higher velocity than my load. Their problem is having to make the same round work in a 6" barrel and 2"...I know what will eat this one.

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back