What's the story on this "J"?

Marko Kloos

Inactive
Went out at lunch today to support the economy some more, and purchased the J-frame pictured below. It's a 640 with an integrated factory compensator. I'm not certain, but I believe that this is a Performance Center special, as the regular 640s were never comped. Anyone know any details on this puppy?

I intend to trick it out as follows: bead blasted finish, Ashley BigDot or Partridge front sight, and a set of hardwood Secret Service grips.

sw640.jpg

Oh sweet! There's just something about that shiny blueing on an old S&W.

The 640 is stainless, of course...the scan came out a little dark. For some real shiny blue finish, second only to Colt's Royal Blue, check out my Model 25:

sw25-2.jpg

Looks like maby a 640 Carry Comp. If so, would have been sold through Lew Horton Distributing. 250 made in 1991, retailed for $750.00 new........thanks to Fjestad.

Sam

Maybe a "Paxton Quigley" model, also by the performance ctr., also 750.00 except I think only 150 of these produced. You can call SW to find out for sure. The PQ versions I believe had 2 5/8 comped barrels.

Dang, it did look blue until you said something. Now knowing it is stainless, it looks even better. :D

My roomie located the data on this thing today at work...benefits of working in a gun store, I guess.

It's the Lew Horton 640 Carry Comp, sold in 1991 as a limited edition of 250. New price was, indeed, $750, which means I did ok paying $425.

Needless to say, I won't be making any permanent alterations on it.

Back