What's the scoop on the Pro Ord Carbon 15?

thaddeus

My buddy wants to buy a Professional Ordinance Carbon 15. I can't do anything but encourage him; it looks like 3.9 pounds of whoopass to me ;)

Whats' the verdict on these? Are they a good rifle so far?

thanks,
thaddeus

A friend of mine asked me about the gun, but did not remember the name. As I had not heard of it before, it baffled me.

Just called Jon Tank, a gunsmith who specializes in ARs, and he had not inspected one yet. He indicated its lower weight was due to the use of "synthetics" in the construction of it.

No idea on quality or durability.

- Anthony

there was a dood on ar15.com forums that had one but was highly disappointed that it did not deliver the promoted accuracy.

he had problems with customer suppoort too...

dZ

I have one and can only relate my experience. Bought it last month and fired about 400 rounds through it. Two problems w/ it. Muzzle break would actually be pushed off from the recoil, landing appx 15 ft in front of f/l. They promptly sent me a new one w/ a stronger spring.Then the bolt fractured and broke, sounding like a misfire. I sent it in last monday and it should have arrived in AZ on friday last week, still havn't gotten response yet. The accuracy is there, the carbon components are going to be fine, the bolt design needs to be re-engineered and w/ possibly different material, titanium poss, to keep it light. Otherwise they should go to moly/steel mix.

Talked to P.O. this morning and they said they sent back to me w/ a new stronger buffer spring and bolt. The person I needed to talk to about the bolts design flaw was bsy w/ a shipment out today. Kind of pissed me off that couldn't take the time to talk to a customer even if he'd bull**** me about the problem being "fixed". I live by the Golden Rule and expect others that deal w/ me to do so.

I have a friend who has one of these. He is having all sorts of problems right now, sometimes when the brass is extracted it will be stuck in the chamber and a chunk of the rim is actually pulled off by the extractor. The brass usually appears smashed up, as if the chamber is to tight. He is trying to get it fixed, and I'm not sure what the status of it is right now. (It was really accurate however).

Correia,

Your friend wasn't by chance using the South African PMP commercially packed ammunition, was he? I have seen and experienced exactly what you described with that ammunition, and I still have about 450 rounds to go.

most AR's that are set up for MOA accuracy have a tight match chamber

match cambers don't like surplus ammo

dZ

Bulldog
Actually it happened with winchester white box, guatemallen military ball, and some HSM Jhp. There wasn't any PMP there that day.

I was real hot for one of these, I came --><--- this close to actually buying it. But after pawing it and checking it out - I just a "feeling" that it wasn't right for me at the time - or that perticular one wasn't the one for me.

Fever has passed.

A flat top version with a Holo sight on top would be wicked-cool!

------------------
Every man Dies.
Not Every Man Truely Lives...

FREEDOM!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE

I've been lucky enough to inspect both the rifle and a pistol version of this carbon fiber stock weapon.
First impression was "Gota have it"..It's soooo light in the hands..and looks way cool with the fluted barrel, matt metal parts.....BUT... Then I noticed NO - forward assist, NO- Ejection port cover , NO opening trigger guard...this weapon in it's current configuration, seems to be a light weight toy to play with at the range..( Not a weapon to stake your life on)..I was not able to test fire either of the weapons...Because I wont pay that kind of money for such a new weapon.
I wait till the reviews come back from richer men with braver souls...willing to invest their money.
And it seems my gut's were right as far as the postings here, and on AR15.com the gun needs some re-engineering, as well as some fine tuning in production. As far as the company not honoring the warrenty repairs..or even selling factory replacement parts to it's customers as reported...on some postings in various forums...that does nothing to boost my confidence either.

I will wait and see...perhaps after the novelty wears off the price will come down.
It shouldn't be high to begin with take for example.....
(Incorporation of synthetic material into firarms manufacture...ie GLOCKS...good gun/ reasonable prices.)

My thoughts, Fred

Back