What's the idea behind the all-titanium Taurus .357s?

Shmackey

Saw the stainless 608, but then saw the 627 (I think), which looks like the same gun but in titanium.

I understand why you might want the lighter metal in a really heavy gun (although I doubt I would, personally). But why in a 4" .357? Is it durability?

Most of the new titanium models have the steel barrel liners. I believe the lighter titanium is for comfort while carrying a pistol. The decreased weight makes it easier on your waistline but it adds to the increased recoil when shooting. There's alot of fellas here who own the titanium models. I opted for the SS Tracker due to the fact that my wifey loves to shoot .357 and the extra weight helps dampen the recoil. Besides, I bought mine for carry in the field.

The .41 mag Ti Tracker is for humping in the field all day. Not for shooting a lot.

Feelings about these are mixed.

I think that I still prefer the .41 Mountain Gun.
But I had to try anything new in .41 mag.:p

Don't forget, the 627 is built on a medium frame while the 608 is built on a large (i.e. 44 mag) frame. I batted both around for a long time and went with the 608; glad I did now. The combo of weight/porting/grips makes the recoil and muzzle flip very managable.

Also, the forged Titanium barrel has a stainless sleeve in it which forms the rifling. No doubt the Taurus engineers stress tested this combo till the cows came home, but something in me said the coefficient of expansion between the ss and the Ti right there in the hot zone where the 'hounds from hell' come out was going to be a problem some day. Thus the choice for an all stainless barrel/frame.

Hope this info helps.

John

I absolutely DESPISE ported barrels. If I caught somebody drilling into a barrel of mine, we would have a serious discussion about what NOT to do with a gun and a drill bit. The driller would then "volunteer" to fire the weapon repeatedly without hearing protection. :)

Ported barrels are too loud, have too much flash/blast, fill up with lint, are too loud, porting isn't necessary, porting ruins an otherwise decent gun, and PORTING IS TOO DAMN LOUD.

Did I mention that porting makes a weapon too loud? Ask Browning. They swiftly found out about the downside of porting with their first generation BOSS system. If you are a victim of this, they now offer a non-ported BOSS system. Taurus has gone completely insane. They drill almost every wheelgun they make now.

That is a bloody shame.

Back