What's the 'final' verdict on the Styer SCOUT?

Now that the 'new-ness" has worn off the Styer Scout, I was wondering what the verdict is on it.
Is it a piece of overpriced junk? A great rifle?
I really like what it has to offer in one complete package. It has everything I want in one package.
I figure it is a good investment too, and I can always get my money back out of it (?)
I realize that I could build something for a bit less, but I like the total package and all the features. I could take it right out of the box and it would be perfect.
But, I am not looking to throw my money away either.
If I buy it, I want to embrace the concept and make it my only rifle. I want to carry it and learn it and master it. I will own no other major caliber rifles.
I would possibly get a long range scope to use for long range work. Most of the time I would use it just like it is out of the box. I can't see needing to take any shots that the 2.5 power scope could not accomplish.
So, is it a overpriced gimmick, or is it a great rifle?

Thanks for the advice.

It costs too damn much for a bolt gun that is probably not MOA.

There is, unfortunately, no such thing that the perfect single rifle. Any attempts to find such a paragon will be compromises. The Scout is a good "carry" hunting rifle.

i have several long range moa rifles that shoot alot better than i can.if i had to junk everyone of them for just one rifle i would probably keep the scout because of its freindlyness toward the scout concept and the fact i can use a conventional scope with it.you can go on a hunt in the mouintains and have instant access to iron sights in the event your scope gets all buggered up.pluss the extra ammo in the stock is probably its best feature to me in case ineed to enlighten some banditos(sorry not a racial slur,just a figure of speech) or for signaling.i also think the 376 styer if people give it a chance will be a real winner.it fits the bill somewhere between the 338 win mag and the .375 h@h.with these two rifles in anyones collection i cant think of any rifle i would need.if one cannott afford a styer scout just buy the conventional styer
pro hunter and add the ashley scout mount and have your gunsmith install some ashley ghost ring sights while your at in.you could put this package together for about $1000 or less.ed

I have to agree that the Scout is a nice package. The one serious shortfall is that the thing is not even close to reliable with anything but premium ammo... don't bother chamebring surplus loads.

Most of you have read posts about my much-more-economical Pseudo-Scout on a Remington 700 .... That Rifle came out of Gunmart's Shop, in fact, I think it was the first one they built.

thanks rob.yours was the 1st one we built.we have started using the ashley mount instead of the burris.me thinks this works better.it takes all the guess work out of the mounting system.we have also started to install a internal shell holder in the stock that holds 4 additional rounds.it fits flush and is very handy.

Would have paid MORE for the rifle after shooting it. I don't have the greatest paying job so writing the check for a Scout was a hard choice but one I don't regret. Replaced the scope with a Burris 2x7-32mm. Was able to get MOA groups with Federal 180gr Hi-Shok(H308B) and 5/8" groups with Black Hills Molly 168gr BTHP and have used surplus with a group sizes at 2". For me, as close to a perfect rifle as I'll ever see.

------------------
Be careful what you ask for..You may get it.

I don't have a scout, but I do not believe it is overpriced. All the really well crafted rifles are over $2,000 today. You just cannot do the required work for much less. Its an unfortunate reality, but the good rifles always were a bit too steep in price for the average man in any time period in history.

Excellent point Herodotus about well made rifles being more expensive than the average person can afford. The solution I have chosen is not to be average. The Steyr Scout is worth the money.

I have talked to Styer Scout owners who've tried them in varying circumstances/training. They seem to do very well for an easily carried rifle that delivers one powerful accurate hit on demand.

They are not ideal for closer range multiple target engagements (say less than 25 yards) where rapid target follow-up is a very good thing. Yes, you CAN get very good with one but it's not as easy as with a semi-auto intermediate power cartridge rifle/carbine.

Also, topping off a Steyr Scout can only be easily done by changing mags. Trying to top of the mag through the ejection port is an exercise in aggravation.

Having said that, if anyone is throwing out their Steyr Scout or even better, a Gunsite Scout built on a Sako action from the pre-Steyr Scout days, I'll gladly take it. :D :D :D

Edmund

dont tell me and erick that you cant hit fast and effectively at 25 yards with the scout.for 5 days we spent snapping our rifles at 25 and 50 yards to the point were we said "if i have to work that bolt just one more time i am gonna @@@@@@@$$#$@#$$%$^%."if the ghost ring sights would have been deployed i think the hits would have even been faster.hey erick remember the log jump!!!!

I didn't know there was a "final" verdict on the Styer Scout. :) My personal opinion is that it's pretty expensive for it's capabilities, and you could have two or three similar rifles for that money.

Seen'em, shot 'em. Not impressed.
The aggravation of the light primer strikes is a biggy, and the fix for that is nowhere on the near horizon. It seems that Steyr is in denial mode regarding this problem, and has no intention of attempting to correct it.
The expense and the marginal optics are another factor, and the flimsy bipod is nothing to write home about.

The difficulty of topping off, the alloy receiver, the plastic stock, the pencil barrel that heats quickly...

Buy a rifle that was designed to shoot well, consume ALL ammo in it's caliber, and do so accurately. Worry a little less about weight, and a little more about overall quality and design integrity. You won't have to look far to find it.

I hope I didn't give the wrong impression. Let me make myself perfectly clear (Richard Nixon) V :D V

CAN you be deadly at under 25 yards versus multiple opponents with a Steyr Scout? YES. Is it IDEAL for under 25 yards multiple opponents? Not in my opinion.

I just wanted to mention again if anyone is tired of their pre-Steyr Scout Gunsite Scout built on a Sako action I'll take it off your hands. :D

Edmund

well when you factor in the recovey time from recoil with a real rifle.(not the poodle shooters)and you flick the bolt instantaniosly during the recoil you can really wear someone out.in regards to multiple assailants it has been a freind of mines contention, who has been a lawmen for years and owns his own training outfit tells me that when you pop one or two banditos the rest of them tend to "rethink"their position.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Edmund Rowe:
CAN you be deadly at under 25 yards versus multiple opponents with a Steyr Scout? YES. Is it IDEAL for under 25 yards multiple opponents? Not in my opinion.
Edmund
[/quote]

Hell, at 25 yards and multiple opponents, I'd take a squad with M16's. :) However, if I had to do them by myself, I'd sure want something that was at least semi-auto, perhaps one of my AR's...

Back