What's the difference between the 11-87 and 1100?

SpazzTrap

New guy here:

Still shopping for my first shotgun...have narrowed it down to an auto loader for my uses...

I really like the 1100s and the Beretta 891s...today I saw a "used" (unfired) 11-87 SPS and have to admit that it "fit" me better than the several formerly mentioned models that I have looked at. I don't really like the all black / synthetic look, but if the gun fits....plus it's a good price.

The gun shop couldn't really tell me the difference between the 1100's and 11-87s (like most gun stores in Cali)

Any help is appreciated...

ST

The main difference is a gas regulation system that allows the 11-87 to use heavier loads. The 1100 doesn't have one and is best suited for lighter loads.

For several years, I owned an 11-87 Sporting Clays model that didn't have a gas regulation system and was limited to rounds no heavier than 1-1/4 ounce, 3-1/4 dram loads. For all intents and purposes it was an 1100 and eventually Remington began selling it as an 1100 because that designation seems to have more appeal than the 11-87 among target shooters. I sold my 11-87SC when I wanted an over/under.

More to the point is what you will use the gun for. I've seen 11-87's become single shots when using light target loads. It depends on what you want to use the gun for.

You could get the synthetic stock you like put onto an 1100. The stocks between an 1100 and 11-87 will interchange.

If you want great versatility, I'd go with the Beretta 391. It's gas system will tolerate heavier loads and still function with light target loads and you can adjust the stock with shims for better fit.

The 11-87 is basically an 1100 with am improved gas system. They used to make two types of 1100's. A regular version that fired 2 3/4" shells only and a magnum version that would shoot 3" mag loads and heavy 2 3/4" loads but it wouldn't work with lighter loads. When other companies began making SG's that could shoot light loads all the way up to 3" mags Rem changed the gas system on the 1100 and called it the 11-87.
The new gas system permits you to use lighter 2 3/4" loads and the heavy 3" mags.

NJW in AZ

Back