What's the deal with Remington?

Photon Guy

From what I know about Remington they used to be a top of the line firearms producing company and they used to make top of the lines long guns but I've heard that as of recently they've been producing junk. Even though their guns are more expensive than certain other brands, some of those certain other brands such as Savage Arms, make better guns. So what's the deal? I used to be a big Remington fan. I heard it started when Remington was bought out by Freedom Arms and its been downhill from there.

Don't believe everything you read. Remington still makes fine firearms. They also make cheaper models of the same guns, and do not always put the same attention to detail into their cheaper guns. People still want to compare their $350 Remington 700 to the $1200 models.

Well I was thinking, how about the Ruger rifles? I do know Ruger makes some of the best revolvers in the world. I don't have any experience with their rifles but they're not overly priced. From what I know about Ruger, you get what you pay for and more.

The ruger American has a great reputation for being a lot of bang for your buck. I'd probably go with it's competitor the Savage axis but both are great affordable bolt guns.

I won't be buying a 700 any time soon.

From what I know about Remington they used to be a top of the line firearms producing company

Meh... I don't know about top of the line.

They made/make good stuff but they've always been a Ford/Chevy where say Sako/Weatherby would be akin to Mercedes and BMW.

There's nothing wrong with a BDL(well, maybe the trigger depending on how old it is ;)) they just cost a lot more today than they used to.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have a Marlin 336W with a JM stamped barrel ( a Marlin built gun before the Remington buy out) even though it was a cheaper 336 produced by Marlin it's fit and finish is good and it shoots great. It just had cheaper looking iron sights. Now I've compared mine to the new 336W's and the differences are night and day. They look terrible. I hope the REMLIN Lever guns have gotten better since I've held that one. As far as Remington as a whole I can't really give an opinion one way or another.

It used to be that the name indicated a certain manufacturer, with a certain factory and distinct quality procedures. Nowadays there are few truly independent gun makers left, S&W and Colt come to mind, but the latter is continuously close to bankruptcy. Winchester, Remington, Browning, Marlin, all brand names in conglomerates, used as the marketing department seems necessary for next month's quarterly.

If you need a new(ish) Remington, just buy an example from the 1990s or so. Plenty are out there in great shape.

The difference in quality is pretty apparent if you compare any run-of-the-mill Remington product (say, a 700 BDL or ADL, or 11-87) of that era to a new one.

Meh... I don't know about top of the line.

They made/make good stuff but they've always been a Ford/Chevy where say Sako/Weatherby would be akin to Mercedes and BMW.

Ford used to be a top of the line automobile company until they started focusing more on producing as many cars and trucks as they could rather than focusing on quality.

But some of the older Fords from the 70s and earlier are still running today.

It used to be that the name indicated a certain manufacturer, with a certain factory and distinct quality procedures. Nowadays there are few truly independent gun makers left, S&W and Colt come to mind, but the latter is continuously close to bankruptcy. Winchester, Remington, Browning, Marlin, all brand names in conglomerates, used as the marketing department seems necessary for next month's quarterly.

How about Ruger? Are they independent? Their products are hard to beat at least their revolvers are. Not sure about their rifles.

Ruger's independent & their rifle lines are typically much better in terms of quality consistency than some of their handgun lines.
Denis

Ruger rifles, as DPris mentioned, are pretty consistent. I think I'd go further than that and say they're extremely consistent.
Almost never the "best".
But rarely going to give you trouble, and more than enough quality and durability for the average hunter/shooter.

Ford used to be a top of the line automobile company until they started focusing more on producing as many cars and trucks as they could rather than focusing on quality.

But some of the older Fords from the 70s and earlier are still running today.
A comical choice to attack, given the recent history and quality issues of the aforementioned companies, when your chosen "pariah" outsold everyone else during the 'dark times', with most buyers citing better quality and dependability vs the bailout brands.

Im not sure of the legitimacy of this but from what I heard from a guy who works at my favorite gun shop, supposedly there's been some safety defects with Remingtons and as many as 12 people have been killed due to the defects.

I have purchased 3 new Remington rifles in the last 40 years. None were top of the line. All three were terrible disappointments. I can put up with a lot, but the gun needs to be capable of decent accuracy. Only one of these was good enough. It was very persnickety about which bullet/load, and the barrel went bad after a couple thousand rounds. Just my experience. I have two Ruger rifles, one was bought used and one new. Both are good firearms. They both have little faults, but essentially there is not one substantial issue to complain about. Both are accurate enough and both are very dependable and consistent. I have one Savage that is and always has been a great shooter, and now sports a Criterion barrel. If I were going to purchase a new rifle, one of those two brands would be my preference.

Im not sure of the legitimacy of this but from what I heard from a guy who works at my favorite gun shop, supposedly there's been some safety defects with Remingtons and as many as 12 people have been killed due to the defects.
Out of how many millions of rifles?

where say Sako/Weatherby

If you're talking about the Weatherbys made by SAKO, that is one thing ; if you're implying that Weatherby made guns, you'd be incorrect. (Mauser made some nice guns for Weatherby as well)

Remington had a defect that showed up only after much use and at least two people were killed. But it should be noted that in every reported case of "accidental" discharge, the person handling the gun was doing so in an unsafe manner, pointing a rifle known to be loaded directly at another person. Remington took a lot of heat and paid the dollars, but IMHO some responsibility lies with the unsafe handling.

Jim

Back