What's the count?

I have seen bachelor herds of blacktail deer several times. The only time they are not sociable is during the rut. The rest of the year they seem to be best of friends. The most I have seen together at one time was only 6 bucks.

bachelors

I've seen groups of bachelor bucks like that before, pre rut. Last fall I had 3 come in but no shot, a shooter 6-8 pt, and two forkies. Early bowseason, no velvet. I've also seen summer velvet bucks in ag fields, beans, peas.

I've also seen multiple bucks running a hot doe, I figure the first doe in the area to come "in".

Likely a cover and terrain thing. Bucks like dense cover, tough terrain for bedding, , more so than does (I think) These types of spots draw bucks, and they get to chumming around together, using same, safe travel routes, etc.

Yes, here in Ohio, bucks travel in bachelor groups in mid summer and into the early fall. The closer to the rut, the less tolerant they become of each other until they are no longer running in groups at all.
The times of year that bucks travel in bachelor groups may vary according to the time of year the rut takes place in that particular area.

I've seen more whitetail bucks here in N. Idaho in the last 3 days since the season opened than I've seen in years. They are nice and fat as well. I've been concentrating on elk (haven't seen too many of them:mad:) so I've passed on the deer so far - we still have over 5 weeks of deer season left - but I could have shot several. Gonna be a good year, I'm thinkin'.

Lost track a long time ago..............

I do though know how many ROADKILL deer I've eaten parts of........5......and one roadkill diller too.............

I had a group of 4 small bucks under my tree stand this morning. Biggest was a small 6. First time in my life I've seen that many together but our season started 2 weeks early this year and we're not even to normal opening day yet.

Back