Whats the consensus on AYA shotguns.

Alex Johnson

I was looking at a couple of 28 guage AYA's at our local gunshop and am kinda curious about them. They are nicely engraved (pretty decent engraving) and the stocks are nicely finished (however the checkering on the butts are a bit crude). They feel nice and handle nice and are some of the best looking new guns I've seen in the $3000 range. Does anyone have one of these?

I've been very impressed with the AyA guns that I have seen. check out "Spanish Best" by Terry Weigand for more info.

These shotguns sure look nice, I like them better than a lot of the other guns I've seen in the same price range. I will have to take a look at that book one of these days.

Alex,

Virtually all of the double gun experts
like Steve Bodio,Michael McIntosh,Terry
Weigand,Steve Smith,etc. have given thumbs
up to the AYA. As you know, they are
British "pattern" guns. Workmanship and
quality of components are first rate.
The same goes for the other major Spanish
side-bye shotgun maker Arrieta.
Both brands are very popular in Britain
where folks really know fine doubles.

By the way, I shoot an old Renato Gamba,
(Italian) 28 gauge over under. The 28 gauge
is IT for upland bird shooting or in the
dove field.

[This message has been edited by Sport (edited April 29, 2000).]

Sport,

Have you got any idea what the AYA "best" guns are going for? I have seen prices for some of the mid range guns, but I haven't seen any for the upper divison ones. Ditto for the Arrieta.

Of the primary Spanish makers (AyA, Arietta, Garbi, Grulla, Arizzaballaga, and Ugartechea), the most expensive are Arizzabalaga (there have been several companies of the name Arizzabalaga. The current one is Pedro. He has either died or retired, and thee status of the company us unsure) at $8,000 - 12,000 depending on wood, etc.

Garbi makes a fine low cost gun that is all handmade (no power tools), except for an electrical engraver. Depending on the importer, I've seen them for under $2,000. Arietta guns are in the $5,000 - 7,000 range.

Ugartechea has made guns that run the gamut from "cheap Spanish boxlocks" to guns that can truly be called "best." I was once quoted a price on a matched set of Ugartechea guns, made to order, of $9,000.

Prices vary widely on the Spanish guns. A method recommended by Terry Weigand is to take a trip to Eibar, and purchase the gun direct. You should be able to save enough to pay for the trip, and you get to pick your own wood, and have the gun truly fitted to you.

HTH :)

Alex,

I've let my membership in The "Fine
Double Salivating Society"lapse.

Until about three years ago I tried to
remain current on prices and values, but
one day I realized my Parker Repro,
Browning O.U., and Gamba O.U. were about
as close as I would ever get to owning a
decent shotgun..By "decent", I mean some-
thing that.......well, you know what I
mean.