Whats the best scope mount for a M1A?

Correia

This isn't for me, I wish. A friend of mine just bought a Springfield M1A loaded model. He wants to scope it but isn't sure which mount is the sturdiest. The loaded comes with coupons for the Springfield mount, so thats what he is leaning towards, any opinions would be appreciated.

Larry:

Brookfield Precision and McCann are the two names you will probably hear.

I have a Springfield 3rd Gen. mount carrying my Leupold 6x42, and haven't had any problems.

SA Scott

By far the Brookfield is the best mount for the M1A. I have one on mine and I love it.

It even allows you to still use the iron sights.

I've been using the Springfield 3rd generation scope mount on my loaded M1A for the last two years and have no regrets. This mount is rock solid and will hold a zero reliably. I'd advise your friend to use the Springfield coupon, save himself some money, and enjoy shooting his newly scoped M1A.

I recently asked the same question in this and other forums, and the Brookfield and McCann were the most voted, with the Spring. 3erd. Gen. a distant third place. I don't know about the Brookfield, but McCann there is a little gunsmithing needed to install the mount. Because of this and the much lower price I went for the Springfield, I mounted a Tasco SS 10x42 on Spring. 30mm rings, and have no regrets. The mount is very solid and the scope has been excellent in every aspect so far (about 800 rounds fired). As all the other mounts is see-through and very high, so you'll need a very high cheekpiece to properly align the eye.

Back