#What's the best cleaning kit to buy for a 9mm?

For any firearm, I use a standard Hoppes cleaning kit that you can get at Wal Mart for under $10. It comes with everything you need from rods to tips to patches. Buy the copper/brass brushes that fit the calibers you have and you are all set. (Remember - a 9mm brush is the same as a 38spl or 357 Magnum brush.) I also like the idea of a boresnake. if you find an oil that you like better, you can always switch whenyour Hoppes runs out and you can still use the same tips and patches with it. :)

Ones as good as another.

Get a stout cleaning rod for times when the boresnake won't cut it.

I buy brushes from Midway in packs of 10. Patches in bulk. I prefer the button kind of jag to the slotted. Seems to fit and clean better.

I prefer Hoppe's # 9, but I'm a traditionalist. Probably all the current solvents work equally well. Get a can of Power Blast, or whatever the manufacturer calls it. The aerosol type gunk remover.
Be warned, the spray cleaners will strip all the lubricant from your weapon. Including all those little springs inside. You must (lightly) re-oil them.

For oil, Break Free only.

All NFA rules apply, in accordance with the prophesy.

Brass brushes & jag. Never use steel.

Coated rods won't damage the rifling. Much better than steel, aluminum or brass.

Many competitive 45ACP shooters swear that BreakFree CLP is the ONLY thing you need. After cleaning the bore, I wipe the whole gun in and out with BreakFree. Follow this with a grease containing teflon on those parts that rub against each other. This will be covered in your book.

For the bore, I use Butches Bore Shine. Many/most rifle competitors use this. It is similar to using Hoppes with a little Sweets mixed in for strength.
Hoppes smells a like a gun rag should though. :D

Never soak a bore more than a couple minutes with a bore cleaner. Don't use Sweets unless you have to.
------------
In conclusion, buy a pretty red "Kleen Bore" coated rod. Buy a couple brass brushes, CLP & a bore cleaner. Some cool grease for the slides & such.

A handfull of Q-Tips & old tooth brush and paper towels.

Keep a silicone cloth in a ziplock and wipe the gun after showing it to your friends. I keep one in each gun case.
------------
There was a thread here where someone tested every lube around for rust prevention. BreakFree came in a close 2nd place to something else that is pretty obscure...
-------------
Tip: I did this to my new magazines & it helped A LOT! If it helps make it easier to load the magazines then it obviously also helps make them last longer: Spray a bunch of CLP in each magazine. Take them outside & fling out the extra CLP. This kills the friction of the springs against the sides of the magazine & also maybe of the other cartridges rubbing against the magazine.

Cleaning kit

I like using an old tackle box or a cheap tool box purchased from a home improvement store. Then, you have enough room for a can of whatever aerosol blasting cleaner you want to have, a big bottle of Hoppes or any cleaner (I LOVE MPro7), your old tooth brushes and as many other things as you want to add. I started a thread some time back about what folks have discovered works good for cleaning, check it under the search function. I got a lot of good ideas for things like using wooden kitchen skewers to clean nooks and crannies, etc.

This thread is a little old, but I came across it while looking for a new kit for my competition 9mm. From what I have seen and heard, J Dewey makes some of the best cleaning kits you can buy. A little pricier than some of the other kids, but great quality and will last you a lifetime.

I was looking at my Outters cleaning kit I bought a while back, and it's a two piece. It's bent, shakey, and pretty much garbage, and this is after maybe less than a dozen cleanings.

Just had to add my 2cents.

dont buy kits!

buy everything you need a la carte!

kits are crap and come with junk you dont need. also segmented rods can scratch up your barrels. no stainless steel rods either!

NatchezSS.com gun cleaning....

For a new or entry level shooter/gun owner, I suggest www.NatchezSS.com . They sell Gun Cleaning & Safety For Dummies + 1 handgun cleaning kit for $24.95 USD :D .
As noted, you don't need cleaning kits, but they aren't a bad way to start.

Id also suggest a decent CLP(clean lube protect) product like Ballistol, LPX, Rand CLP, FrogLube, Gunzilla. Some suggest a bore snake(Viper) & a bore solvent like Butch's or Hoppe's #9. I just got a small bottle of the new synthetic Hoppes #9.

A Bore-Store bag is good for storage & protection. It's soft & allows air to move thru the fabric.
Clyde

Back