Whats Legal Where?

tplumeri

OK, a shotgun needs an 18 or 18.5 inch barrell to be legal, right? Legal out on the street, in the field? what if you cut the barrell down to 16 or 12 inches and keep it in the bedroom.? is it illegal? what if you shoot an intruder in your house with it?
how 'bout an AR with a 14 inch barrell? is it legal to own if it never leaves the house?
what if i machine a silencer for my ruger blackhawk (yeah, I know....), can i legally own it?
just some things ive been wondering about.....
tom

The Law IS THE LAW! NO! NO! NO! AND AGAIN NO!

CAN I CONVERT MY AK TO FULL AUTO! NO! NOT EVEN FOR USE IN MY HOUSE! COME ON! WAS THAT A REAL QUESTION?:(

tplumeri: OK, a shotgun needs an 18 or 18.5 inch barrell to be legal, right?...

You answered your own question. "Legal means legal" regardless of where the shotgun or rifle are located.

Your state laws may differ, but Federal law doesn't care WHERE the gun is as long as the barrel length meets the minimum.

You need to visit the BATFE website before you go to making silencers and chopping barrels. ;)

There is no exception in the National Firearms Act for guns regulated under the NFA that are just kept in the home. Read that again - no exception. None. Nada. Nyet. Its a felony otherwise, and one which BATFE doesn't seem to have much of a sense of humor about.

A shotgun has to have a barrel length of at least 18" under federal law, regardless of where you keep it (unless its outside of the US). Similarly, ALL silencers, short barreled rifles, short barreled shotguns, AOW's, destructive devices and/or machineguns must be registered with the NFA Branch. You can make any of those items (except a MG), but you must FIRST file a form 1 with BATFE, pay the making tax ($200), and have the stamped and approved form back in your hands before you begin work or even take possession of certain parts.

You need to visit the BATFE website before you go to making silencers and chopping barrels.

Hey, hang on there, I asked the question because I can BUY these items. Example; Gunbroker auctioned an AR upper that was 16 inches INCLUDING the removable suppressor! I can get a "prototype" lower ("mounting bolt pattern undrilled, so ships w/o FFL").

Buy plans and detailed instructions to construct silencers on the internet for $2.99.

I fully realize that the fact that if it is available does not make it acceptable or legal.

The question was meant to draw attention to why people are making money selling items, instructions, recommendationsetc...that are clearly illegal, and the proliferation of these "options" is detrimental to someone like me (and most folks here) who spent time and money to obtain proper permits.

I guess I should have worded the original question better.
Sorry
Tom

Back