What's in your 51 Navy .36?

Remington kid

Just wondering what some of you 51 navy shooters have found to work best for you when it comes to powder and ball or conical.. Did some playing and shooting today with the 51 Navy. I used 25g of Pyrodex "P" and one of my pure lead cast balls for the first 12 shots from a not so steady bench rest at 20 yards.Had terrific groups , nothing out of the black and the flyer's you see were my fault.
Then I loaded it with 22g of Pyrodex "P" and shot another 6. The holes you see in the center represent 6 shots. It seems to me that both loads did great but the 22g seems a little better. I'm hoping to some more Goex 3f soon and try that also. I'll shoot a few more tomorrow just to see what happens. Also want to try the conicals as soon as I get the mold.
I'm happy with the accuracy of this revolver and it sure is fun to shoot. Can't wait to pop a few snakes with it this summer around here.Mike

If a person were inclined to find a great load and then stop looking, the one you turned up would surely work. This is not the first great group I've seen from that revolver.

Thanks Mec, It does shoot great for me and does it's job as long as I do mine.
In the past I have seen pictures of you with some nice rabbits for camp meat that you took with your Navy. What powder loads and bullets do you use for hunting with your .36 ? I did a lot of hunting and shootings with my Remington's but I would like to do a little rabbit, snake , fox and coyote shooting with this .36.
Thanks, Mike

The same exact 22 pyrodex P and a .380 ball. My favorite load- up over 1000 fps. Goex 3f takes 25 grains in my 61 to get the same general velocity but 22 grains of swiss is in the 1,000s too.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks Mec! That's the one I was talking about. The groups I get from 25g of Pyrodex "P" are so close to the 22g at 20 yards I can't tell much difference. Most of my shots will be under 25 yards ( 5' or so for snakes to 20-25 yards for larger critters) so I'll just stick with the 22g.
Sure wish I could shoot Duelist like you do! Maybe if I drank less coffee:D Mike

OD, There was a time I could drink a couple cups of good strong coffee just before bed time and sleep like a baby. Now I would stay awake for a week , blood pressure would blow off the top of my head and I would shake like a cold wet dog after a fight with a Grizzly!
I need decaf during the afternoon's now. Still have the shakes now and then. Old age or just to many old injuries of this fine body of mine,Lol. Mike

Back