• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

What's going on with TFL today?

I've been on for about 45 minutes. It has varied from acceptable to glacial within the same forum. Doesn't even seen to be based on the length (number of posts) in the topic.

I've had no problems all day.

Might be a latency problem in your area. If it's still slow tomorrow, let us know.

Thanks. :)

Mike, we are in relatively the same internet area. TFL has been zippy fast for me today. So I don't think it will turn out to be an internet latency problem, so I would suspect an ISP problem. Are other sites fast or slow?

Mal,

I'm on a cable modem at home, and a T-something at work.

Both are BLINDINGLY fast.

All of the other sites I've visited this evening have been EXCEPTIONALLY fast as well, even the ones with heavy duty graphics & animation.

Not more than 3 minutes ago TFL "froze" again, and refused to load ANYTHING for about 5 minutes.

I got the steady "waiting for reply" message.

I clicked out to a couple of other sites, and BOOM. Instant downloads.

It seems that it's TFL.

Ok Mike, did you experience a slow down, or rather a stop cold, at around 11:01 EST? I couldn't get a response from TFL for roughly 7 to 8 min. Other sites were very slow. Also at about the time you said previously (~ 10:15), I noticed a slow down for a few minutes. So I think we are seeing an area wide problem.

Mal,

Nope, I was somewhere else at 11p.m.

This was just before my message was timestamped, or around 10:10 to 10:20 or so. My clock and TFL are very close in time reference.

And, I got frustrated, canceled out, and positively BLASTED to another, graphics intense Website, which downloaded in probably 5 seconds.

Mike-
Chances are it was an issue of interface from one TelCo to the next (called "peering", I think). TFL is on ATT with Cable and Wireless as backup. Your ISP's Telco and your geographic location determines at what point you hook up to the carrier for TFL. If that peering interface is having problems, the site appears to be down.

Exact same thing happened to me several weeks ago...I called the Web Host fuming. They said the site was up...no problem. Dropped off my cable modem and dialed into my ISP on an 800 number....immediate connect.

That's the reason all sites sometimes see an isolated user complain of connect problems. Our tendency is to assume it's either our ISP or the remote host....actually, there's lots in between.
Rich

Makes sense, Rich.

I'll do a router trace to see what the path is from home, and then do the same thing from work, and see if there's a common thread.

Back