• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

What's going on here?

FUD

I've been having this problem ever since General went down and came back up again. I'm not sure if I can describe it properly so let me list the sets:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> In one of the sub-forums I see that a trend was updated at 3:22
<LI> I go inside to look at it but notice that the time of the last post was 3:08
<LI> I do a "Refresh" and it still shows 3:08
<LI> I leave and come back and now I see 2:49 as the last post (a few post disappeared).
<LI> I do another refresh and then I see everything to the 3:22 post like it should be.</UL> Anyone else have this problem? I'm sure that it's on my end but in the past ONE refresh took care of the problem -- now I'm doing half a dozen refreshes in order to get things right. I didn't change any software on my machine and I haven't been playing with any of the setting (honest).
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD
fud-nra.gif

No problems here. Try clearing your cache and rebooting (yes, I know...)

I didn't change any software on my machine and I haven't been playing with any of the setting (honest).

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that... ;)

This has been going on for about two weeks now and I power down ever night ... Okay, I'll reboot again :(

Now that's weird. The weirdest part is that you lose posts instead of the page not refreshing.

If using IE, you might give this a try -
Select Tools menu
.Internet Options
..General
...Temp. Internet files
....Settings
.....Check for new pages
......Every visit

If using Netscape, I'm sure there is an equivalent setting.

If this is already set, then I dunno.

Communicator 4.7

.Edit
..Preferences
...Advanced
....Cache
.....(document in cache is compared to documenton network) -> Every Time

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 21, 2000).]

Base on everyone's input and a little experimenting on my own, I figured out what is going on ... if you're running NT and you shutdown by hitting the power button instead of doing a graceful shutdown with the "Start" button, IE will restore it's default settings when it comes back up again -- it wasn't refreshing the page after each visit but once per session.<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI> I set it, did a graceful shutdown and the settings remained.
<LI> I did an ungraceful shutdown and the default settings were restored.
<LI> Did another graceful shutdown, the default settings still remained.
<LI> Changed the settings and did a graceful shutdown and when I came back up, the changed settings remained.</UL>Thus, my conclusion, if you do an ungraceful shutdown, IE reverts to its default settings. Thanks to everyone who offered advise as I wouldn't have been able to figure it out on my own since I've been struggling with this for about 2 weeks now.

FUD, you're damned lucky you haven't had to completely FFR your machine.

Here's a tip for all y'all from yer Uncle Fitz: Shutting down a computer by just killing the power is like stopping your car by driving it into a brick wall.

Sysadmin rant off. Mutter, grumble...

Coinneach, sometimes the whole machines freezes and all the <ctrl>-<alt>-<del>'s in the world doesn't bring it back. However, now that I have that problem cleared up, I've noticed that when I enter the main forum page (not the sub-forums like general, legal, etc. but the main forum page), I see the latest posts being from April 10! The sub-forums are okay.

I suspect that I've got major problems here.

Yeah, sometimes (often) NT and 9x decide to go to the Bahamas. In that case, a cold boot is all you can do (and then grit your teeth when Scandisk runs automatically and yells at you to always shut down normally). HOWEVER, too many people seem to think that just killing the power is the way to do it. I've had to rebuild soooo many machines for these users...

Ahem. Sorry for the sysadmin ranting.

Have you tried deleting your TFL cookie and resetting it?

I went into DOS and did a DEL *.* which got rid of a lot of stuff. Was there another way to delete my cookies? (I wasn't really hungry)

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 22, 2000).]

I deleted all of my HISTORY, COOKIEs, Temp INTERNET files, SUBSCRIPTIONS and rebooted the machine and I still see 4/10 as the date in the main forum with 5100 members. Once I get into the sub-forums, everything is working fine. :confused:

FUD, if you haven't done so, go to the TFL preferences (right up there ^ a few inches) and click where it says "Click here to delete all cookies set by this forum".

YES! Clicking on Preferences work. I now see 6/22 and 5900+ members -- Thanks, this was driving me crazy (I rushed my boss off the phone because I told him that I was working on a major problem and he commented on how glad he was that I was on the ball with things).

Let's see if I have this right, the honorable FUD, our brother in the Second, is running an NT machine, but goes to DOS to delete cookies with DEL *.* ("Thank God I was in the right DIR.") and shuts down/reboots with the power switch. And your boss is grateful that you're on top of things. That about cover it?

What we have here looks to be an NT user that never used Win 98, Win 95 or Win 3.1x. How did that happen? Isn't that impossible? I mean, that's not really possible is it? Somebody answer me. Is that possible? Nah, it ain't possible.

FUD. You da MAN! I wish I had my boss that well trained. You are destined to be a legend. Da FUD Meister cometh!

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited June 22, 2000).]

(shhh sensop - this is just between you and me, ok? I had those same thoughts, but let's not let FUD hear us. BRS on NT, oooh, bad.)

sensop, thank you (I think). Actual, I'm a UNIX Guru and I know very little about PCs (NT or Windows) except the basics -- I use them for e-mail, the internet (coming to TFL), and WORD & POWERPOINT for reports & presentations; and as a dumb terminal to connect to our UNIX production machines.

As for having "the boss well trained", let's just say that a few years ago I found a way that he could reduce his operating budget by more than half and at the same time increase his productivity several times over (and I did this because I didn't want to work on an assignment that he had given me). I haven't done anything really impressive since then (although I'd like to think that I still earn my paycheck) but he still pretty much let's me do whatever I want, under the assumption that I'm working on something equally important.

[This message has been edited by FUD (edited June 22, 2000).]

Back