What's better: Winchester 1897 or model 12?

• Thread starter Thread starter a
  • Start date Start date

a

I'm looking into getting a trnch gun in either the Winchester model 1897 or model 12. Which has a stronger action? What are the pros/cons of each? Were they both used during World War 1? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have both guns, I inherited from my grandfather, and I much prefer the model 12. It's a bit easier to unload and disassemble. The 1898 is interesting with the exposed hammer (no safety), but more often than not the bolt will draw blood on my right hand when I rack the action. Very distracting.

I prefer the '97 'cause of its take-down properties. Mine has an 18-1/2" barrel, customized with REM-chokes, which when apart fits neatly into backpacks, suitcases and motorcycle saddle-bags.

Both shotguns have not been made for decades, and parts are scarce. Being Browning designs, they rarely need any parts, but since the Model 12 was THE trap gun for a long time, plenty of them are well worn. Sometimes the bolt is worn to the point where headspace becomes dangerous, and a good smith will build the bolt head back up with weld.If you buy either, a trip to a good smith is in order to check it out, as with any used firearm.

I've shot a 12 a little at clays and like it, and a well worn 97 was part of our crew equipment during the late unpleasantness in SEA. Both were good shotguns. IMO, the 12 shucks a little fasternsmoother, but it's minor.

Back