What's available in .41 Mag. defensive ammo?

I'm going to be house sitting for friends whose house has been target of a couple break-ins and other assorted crapola.

Thinking of using the .41 Mag. as it's very intimidating, but I want some ammo to back up the visual factor...

I like the Win 175-gr(?) STHPs for people . . . moderate load (I think the FPE are only in the 600s): I think around 1200 fps with very little recoil and no flash that I noticed. I've seen lots of folks recommend this round for the relatively minimal recoil. (Those numbers are all right out of my head, so they could easily be way wrong.)

I use Rem 210-gr SPs if I think black bears might be the burglars.

I've shot quite a few of the 210-gr. Remingtons.

Pretty heavy recoil.

I'll see if I can track down some of the Silver tips. Thanks.

I use 175gr. Silvertips in my Model 57. They're not quite as hot as .41 Magnum can be loaded, but the recoil is very moderate, and I have a lot of confidence in the bullet design.

I also recommend the Win. 175 gr. Silvertip for human encounters. Its very controllable from my 4 inch Mt. Gun and has low flash.

Silvertip has side benefit of beig very visible in the chambers when one is standing on the wrong end of the gun, especially in a big-bore revolver. Should you wind up with some BG at gunpoint for whatever reason, he'll be less likely to get uppity if he knows the gun ain't empty... :eek:

Tamara,
My 415T has the Shadow Gray finish, so they don't stand out that well....
Wait they do, cause they are so dang big.... :D :D Nevermind. :cool:

Later,
MO

Another vote for the Silvertip load.

Oh, and a bit of unsolicited advice. If you're really anticipating trouble while house sitting, and can't avoid the situation, consider a long gun (shotgun or carbine) as primary armament and save the handgun for backup.

DEFENCIVE LOADS FOR THE 41

I WOULD GO WITH THE SILVERTIPS. THEY DO WELL IN MY BLACKHAWK.
BUT GIVEN THE PROBLEMS YOU MENTIONED I THINK I WOULD PREFER THE SHOTGUN PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED AND MY TAURUS PT99 WITH MY 4 HI-CAPS AND SOME FEDERAL +P 115 HOLLOWS. JMHO. YMMV:D

Guys, the shotgun is a given.

Smith & Wesson Model 3000 Police in 12-gauge.

Winchester 2 3/4" No. 4 buckshot. 27 pellets of lead hate notes.

Back