What's a Mountain Gun?

Shmackey

I know it's a particular Smith product line, but what distinguishes a Mountain Gun from any of their other revolvers?

Laser etching that says "Mountain Gun"...

Seriously, though... ;)

A Mountain Gun is a stainless N-frame with a 4" tapered barrel and fluted cylinder. The idea being to provide a 6-shot large-frame revolver with usable barrel length that is as light as possible.

mountaingun.jpg

Related question

What do you call a Mountain Gun that lacks the etching? Mine is a 629-2, before the designation was applied to the barrel.

Also, has anyone asked S&W to convert a 629-2 to a 629-2E?

Regards,

Ledbetter

Here's where it gets confusing...

Your 629-2 is a "Mountain Revolver", not a "Mountain Gun". The difference? Laser etching on the barrel that says "Mountain Gun".

The Mountain Revolver was the first issue of this species by *&* as a limited run special.

Response was overwhelming. Folks went gaga over the things.

You could sell them new for more than retail.

*&* saw a good thing, and decided this item might need to make a more regular showing; hence, the "Mountain Guns". So they do a batch of 'em every so often; .44 Mag in '93, '94, and '99, as well as .45 Colt in '96.

Just curious... What model is pictured (629-2?)? It doesn't look as fancy as the latest model. Very nice... What's the ballpark price on one?

The model pictured...

...is Lendringser's 625-6 .45 Colt Mountain Gun.

Paid $500 at a recent gun show. (Very popular guns around here; one of those "if you want one, just go ahead and buy the first one you see with a price that's anywhere near reasonable because you never know how long it will take for another one to turn up")

Tamara--are you SURE that it's a "dash-6"??? My 625-6 has the MIM lockparts AND the frame-mounted firing pin, UNLIKE your roomie's gun....mikey357

Yup. Dash Six.

According to the Standard Catalog... the MIM bits and frame-mounted firing pin didn't occur until the dash seven in 1998.

Perhaps yours was a transitional gun?

Yeah, could be...I've got a 686 with the "new-style" rear sight, but the frame is a square-butt jobbie AND it's got an "old-style" cylinder...guess they "use up" different components at different rates, SOMETIMES giving us guns that have a COMBINATION of "features" from different "dash #'s"...sure can get confusing!!!....mikey357

Some folks think the S&W Model of 1950 .44SPL 4 inch TARGET

is the best all around gun ever made. [ I have one so I'm partial] and the MountainGuns are the same slim barreled beauties only in stainless. Weight is 39 oz. and just DANG GREAT ! ....dewey

Elmer Kieth was right...

4" skinny-barreled N-frame .44's have a "magic" balance that must be fired to fully appreciate.

Now if i could just find one in .45 ACP...

Had the MG in .41 and .357; traded the .357 away.
The MG is about the best balanced revolver I have ever had. It retired my old M58.

Ledbetter: I too have a 629-2 .44 Mag. revolver that has the tapered "Mountain Gun" barrel. Mine doesn't have any markings pertaining to "Mountain Revolver" or "Mountain Gun" because it is one of the very first to ever come out of the factory with the 1950 Target style barrel. Mine like yours doesn't have the strength enhancements of the later -E's and then the -3, -4, -5, etc. I've also wondered about haveing S&W do the strength enhancements if possible. I have pounded mine with over a 1000 heavy handloads (300 gr. cast bullet at 1100-1200 fps) with no noticeable ill effects asides from a slight bit of play in the cylinder lock up. Accuracy remains as excellent as the first day I shot the gun (less than 2" at 25 yds) I have no doubt that I will eventually wear the gun out but I figure I will just buy another 629 and put the tapered barrel on it.

Frontlander

I got mine used from another TFL member, but it didn't look like it had been shot very much. I have shot around 300 factory .44 specials and 200 factory .44 magnum rounds through it. The lock up is as tight as on my two-year old S&W 649 in .357 and I've never had the cylinder fail to rotate.

I have heard from several owners of guns like ours that they have had no problems with factory loads and that the observed problems took place with handloaded rounds that were hotter than factory rounds.

Question for anyone: Do these guns (Mountain Revolvers) have any increased value in their original unaltered configuration over a gun that has been modified?

Regards,

Ledbetter

I recently acquired 2 S&W revolvers in an estate sale purchase.

The first looks like the one pictured above except that the front ramp has an orange insert and the 4" barrel is ported. Only says "44 Magnum" on right side of barrel. Did these come ported or was this customized? Is this a Mountain Revolver then?

The other is a 45 ACP with a full lug barrel and "45 CAL MODEL OF 1989" on the right hand side. I assume that because of the full lug barrel it is not a "Mountain Revolver"? I would like to have a 45 ACP revolver to use in IDPA competition but the barrel is too long for the rules, would it be worth rebarreling to 4"?

I have the original boxes but they don't tell me much.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Greg

gpappy

S&W makes different .44 magnum handguns. Some come ported or are custom shop models distributed by Lew Horton. The model number is under the serial number on my Mountain Revolver. It says "M629-2."

Back