What's a high-quality .45SA cowboy gun?

J.T.King

Hey guys...

My budget got expanded a bit and I am looking for a high-quality .45SA cowboy gun. These are my preferences:

1. Smooth sights (preferably fixed or at least very smooth)
2. Strong enough for Heavy Loads
3. Good recoil handling
4. Excellent fit and finish
5. 4 1/2" - 5 1/2" barrel
5. ~$1000 or less
7. Will retain its value reasonably well (i.e. no action jobs on a mass market pistol)

So what do you think? Any Ideas?

JT

Two or three words should suffice:

Ruger Vaquero

Ruger Bisley Vaquero

I have the Bisley in stainless. Man, what a purty revolver!!

Shoots real well, too--likes Blue Dot and 230 grain bullets.

Sounds like a .45 Vaquero to me. The looks of a Colt (more or less), almost the feel of a Colt, and built hellferstout. It'll take loads that will put factory .44 mag ammo to shame. I used to use big doses of H110 (24 grains/260 grain cast SWC) which would cross the chrono at ~1400fps+ out of a 7 1/2" Blackhawk bbl. Others have gone even higher, but please don't use such loads without working carefully up to them. In shorter bbls, Blue Dot might be a better choice, experiment! One piece Pachmayr Presentations are great on these revolvers but not legal in CAS, but with light cowboy loads ya don't need 'em anyway.
(edit) A reminder. Remember, if you regulate your fixed sights for a light CAS load, it's not going to print to the same POI as a heavy 1400fps load. Maybe if you experiment with different bullet weights at high vs low vels you can get close but generally ya can't have your cake & eat it too.

Second the motion...

The only drawback to the Ruger Vaquero and Bisley Vaquero is their weight, which is quite a bit more than your average Colt clone. All that steel means they will last centuries with only the low pressures of .45 Colt cartridges to deal with. I've got a B-V, which has an unusual grip. I'd suggest at least trying the feel of it before you get a standard Vaquero. Many find it much nicer to shoot, esp. one-handed. They're a favorite frame for conversion and customization. IIRC, there are some gunsmiths who specialize in altering B-V's to wildcat powerhouse cartridges.

Thanks for the responses...

I've been leaning that way, although I admit to liking the idea of owning something a it more exclusive... Maybe along the Freedom Arms line, but those are REALLY expernsive (1500$+).

There just may not be anything in the finely crafted pistol $750-$1000 range. Oh well. Its not like a Bisley Vaquero would be bad!

:p

JT

I'll throw in my .02 and say Vaquero too! I have 7 of them, and they are great guns. (no, not all .45 Colt. 1 .45 colt, 4 5/8", 2 .44 mag 5.5", 2 .357 5.5", 1 Sheriff's with Birdshead .45 colt, and one Baby Vaquero in .32 mag)

You're going to need two 45's anyway for CA shooting. Going the Vaquero route lets you buy both for the $700-$1000 you were looking to spend.

Vaqueros are an incredible value in my opinion. My own is a 7-1/2" SS .44 mag.

During cowboy shoots the guns can get knocked around. I think you might be disappointed if you get an expensive gun. Get something that can show wear and won't bother you.

.45 Vaquero

I got my .45 LC Ruger Vaquero more than two years ago, it is the only SA I got, my third Ruger and the best revolver, I own seven handguns and If I most keep only one...guess

Last year I sold my Vaqueros and bought a pair of Colt Cowboys.

Wish I had the Vaqueros back...while the Colts feel MUCH better in the hand and shoot to point of aim, the cylinder on one is out of time, cylinder holes in the other are out of spec (too big, and is bursting cases). Both have been back to the factory, and both still do the same thing.

The Vaqueros were ready to rock out of the box, and with free-spin pawls fitted were easy to load...and were cheaper.

Alex

Last edited:
I have a 45 Colt 51/2 Vaquero that is the most accurate centerfire gun I own. That thing will shoot into ONE HOLE six shots at 25 yards...if I do my part. Strong too. I also have a Colt but it scares me to shoot it much. It is a "look-at" gun...

I wish I could afford a real SAA, however the Ruger Vaquero is a fine shooter and looker. A skosh heavier, but it can handle seriously heavy loads.

Factory ivorex grips available, and that glossy stainless LOOKS like nickel, but will last longer. Also available in case hardened and blue.

My Vaquero is a .44 mag with a 7.5 inch barrel in glossy SS.

Don't skimp on the cowboy leather when you buy a cowboy gun.

One of the reasons we like Rugers is there's so many custom parts (and tinkering data) available, most of which can be done at home. Check this thread out, where we've collected some of the best tips and parts:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80872

There's ways of dealing with the weight. The .45s weigh a bit less; don't run more than a 4.6" barrel if you want fast handling, and there have been special runs of 3.5" barrel Vaqueros with the standard grip and now with a bird's-head grip. You can find 'em at www.gunbroker.com , www.auctionarms.com and the like. The new bird's-head may have a problem being sold in Calif, it may or may not meet the 7.5" overall requirement measured parallel to the barrel. The 3.5" barrel and standard Vaquero grip are fine.

Back