Whats a good price on an Enfield?

Adamantium

Hi, I've desided to go with an Enfield, and tomorrow I'm going to call up a local dealer to see how much it would cost to special order one. Anyway, what should I expect to be getting in the $100-$125 price range? Thier is also a gun show comming up, Do you think thier will be some surplus ammo there at a good price?

Also, whats the difference between a Mod 4 MkI and a Mod 4 MkII? I'm sure he'll want to know which one.

Sincerely,
Adam

------------------
Self improvement is a hobby of mine :)

For a VG or better gun? Probably about $125 to $200. The No4 Mk2 will be tward the higher end and the No4 Mk1 will be at the lower. The Mk 2 rifles have never been in combat, so they TEND to be in better condition. The Mk 2 guns are THEORETICALLY better shooters, however, there are plenty of Mk 1 rifles in very good shape. Either one would make a great shooter. Now if you want a piece of history, go with the Mk 1.

The difference between the two types of guns is pretty slight. The Mk 2 has the trigger attached differently. The Mk 1 might not be as good in fit and finish because of wartime production schedules, and some had fewer grooves in the barrels - this might made a SLIGHT difference in accuracy, but prob not.

All in all, both types tend to be very good shooters. Look for the rifle in the best condition - all will show signs of use!

IMHO,you will prob have better luck buying at a gunshow than having a dealer order one for you.

For ammo, call AIM Surplus. They have 200 rounds on belts for a good price, and it's noncorrosive. http://members.aol.com/AIMSurplus/index.htm

HTH!

Dear Ad,

There is a model of Enfield called the Ishapore (name of the factory in India where they were made in the 60s). It was slightly re-designed before production to use the .308 NATO round instead of the .303 British. They share all the good characteristics of the Enfield, while shooting a more standard caliber.

I paid $95 for mine. Go around to all the booths at the gun show and pick out the one that looks the best.

It required lots of cleaning (packing grease), but ended up looking decent.

With the plain metal buttplate, it kicks like a mule.

JP

------------------
Nehemiah 4:18 " ... and each of the builders wore his sword at his side as he worked."

Back