What's a good 1911 for under $1000??

Spirex288

Here we go! I think I just started a war. By the middle of this year I will have all of my debts paid off and some extra money on the side along with some tax refund saved.
Out of the MANY brands out there, which is the best no matter who you ask? I know people have their opinions. Who wouldn't settle for a Ferarri? Is there a Ferarri in 1911s?

Yes, but they are a bit more than $1000, make that quite a bit more. I was looking at a Springfield "loaded" model today and liked it, just under $600.

I have a Kimber and a Springfield, both matte finish gov' models. They are about equal accuracy wise, but in my opinion the Kimber is probably a little better. It's tighter slide to frame. There are things I like and dislike about both, but you can't go wrong with either.

You might want to check around at say wilsons and see what his shop turns out for around that amount......Ive yet to see a quality custom pistol that was kept up not keep its value...fubsy.

Wilson's did in fact produce a model last year called the Milleneum Protector,that,if memory serves me correct,was in the thousand dollar range.About the only difference I could tell between it and his Service Grade 1911's(which I own and heartily endorse) is that they have a grooved frontstrap instead of checkering,no guide rod,plain grips.But,that said,they are also 500.00 cheaper than the next grade up,but still have Wilson's 1.5"or less @25yds. accuracy guarantee,and I think if you polled this forum you would hear,as I know,that NO ONE tops Bill Wilson in customer service and appreciation. As to the Ferrari of 1911's Wilson Combat and Les Baer would get my vote as the two top contenders. 1911's Forever!!!

I'm new to the 1911 scene, but I'll share what limited knowledge and opinions I have.
Personally I've purchased two 1911's in the last three months. A 70 series Combat Commander with a satin nickel finish, and a 10mm Delta Elite. I just got the Delta a few days ago, and haven't had the chance to shoot it yet. However, I love my Commander.
My answer would be it depends. Are you looking for a new or used gun.
Used, my suggestion would be a 70 series of some type. This will probably take some searching on your part, but I think you'll be happy. I would suggest looking at either auctionarms.com or gunsamerica.com, I've seen several 1911's for under $1000 on both sites lately.
If you are looking for a new gun I would also suggest the Springfield Armory Loaded. I believe it is now being used by the FBI hostage rescue teams now, for what that's wourth.
You might also check out what Wilson Combat has to offer at wilsoncombat.com. I checked their site before I posted this, I didn't check all the makes available, but currently they offer the KZ-45 for $995, from there the prices only go up. They do offer a couple others for under $1500. The Millennium is now at $1235, inflation sux :(.
Atleast if you spend that kind of money on a Wilson you won't have to work on it near as often as a Ferarri. :)
I hope this helps.

------------------
As to marksmanship, it is not what you once did, rather it is what you can do on demand.

Spirex288: I spend my old age in a perpetual state of sticker shock. I bought my first "like-new" GI .45 for $75, back around 1970. So, I think in terms of finding old, abused GI-type clunkers and re-building them.

There's so much stuff you can do yourself in building up your own custom critter. If you don't get in a roaring rush, and don't need a hole in the toe and directions on the heel, it's real hard to mess up. That's one of the beauties of the 1911.

I'd build it up first with original Colt parts and get it functioning to suit you, before going to after-market internal pieces. First, learn your gun and get used to it and become a proficient shooter.

My personal preference in sights are the MMC fixed, combat sights. But that's just my own preference...

FWIW, Art

Back