Whatcha all Shootin' ?

Wildwilley

Out of all you fella's on this section of the board. How many of you shoot flintlocks?
Where are you from?
I'm writing a book on shooting the flintlock rifle and I was just wondering if anyone besides my pack of greybeards is gonna read it.
I'm from Pennsylvania. One of the last areas that have an exclusive flintlock hunting season.
What are you all shooting in the way of muzzeloaders?
Is there enough info for you fella's or would you like a well researched book on all types of front loading guns?
I'm interested in what you have to say.

I shoot a Cabelas kit Hawken .58 flintlock I built myself. Great gun, works well for anything up to elk and moose - gonna try bear again this spring!

I've been shooting muzzle loader for years, but flintlocks only a couple. When I completed my kit and started looking for information on how to make her run well I had touble finding a decent flintlock manuel. It seems that everyone nowadays is into this in-line craze and even oldstyle percussion guns are getting rarer. It actully took me two months to find some old books that would suit my purposes for my flintty. So all the more good informational boods on the subject published would be great - at least I think it would be. Good luck.

One of the more common "methods" of learning is to talk to someone who already does it. That's great, but the art of the flintlock is rapidly becoming a lost art. I know of only one ol' graybeard in my area who shoot traditional muzzloaders - neat guy, wears buckskins, has a full white beard, and leads a mule while elk hunting inthe back county with his .54! I asked him to teach me about flintlocks during my search and to my surprise - this guy who has lived and breather muzzloaders for over fifty years had never fired one! We fixed that quickly. :D Now he and I are the only ones I know of in a hundred mile radius who hunt with traditional muzzloaders - I'm the only flinter...

I'm shooting a flintlock Lancaster rifle that I built. Also have some Civil War repros like a 2 Band Enfield (English Parker Hale) and other modern percussion guns.

BTW, you can't beat those minie rifles for accuracy. They reach out farther than the patched round ball. However, for fun you can't beat a flintlock. BTW, if you're in the woods, it's also a good way to start a fire.

I shoot two rifles, both .50 cal Hawkens by Thompson Center. One is flintlock, the other caplock. Love 'em both. I get most of the info I need from the NMLRA magazine "Muzzle Blasts". Would I buy another book on muzzleloading? Probably.

Good luck with your endeavors.

Good luck with the book. I shoot a Lyman Trade Rifle(.50 cal, flintlock), purchased about eight years ago at Dixon's Muzzleloading in Kempton, PA. My strong guess would be that you're familiar with that establishment if you're from PA and in the field. Just browsing through it and listening to the conversations among proprietors and customers can be a real education. If somehow you're not aware of it, it would be worthwhile to talk to Chuck or his son Greg. Some years ago, I disassembled a repro cap n ball before really knowing the gun. I took it to a nearby gunsmith, who said I'd have to leave it and the price would be $35. As I needed some supplies at Dixon's anyway, I brought the pieces up with me ( a 60-mile drive) and Chuck had them back together in five minutes, no charge added to my small purchase. I can do as fast myself now, but the generous knowledge of that place is hard to beat. (By the way, I'm no relation.)

The two flinters I have are originals and I don't shoot them except on special occassions. I have an English 1761 New Land Pattern 'horse pistol', smoothbore 58/9 caliber with a Wilots tower stamped lock that was given to my great,great,great grandfather as a present at the end of the Revolutionary War. He was a quartermaster for Gen. Greene. The youngest male over seven gets to fire it on the 4th of July after reading the Declaration of Independence to the assembled family and guests. My other is a 1809 Prussian musket in 69 cal with the arsenal of the city of Philadelphia stamp on the breech. It belonged to my great grandfather. We used to shoot it as a fowling piece on the farm but I haven't fired it in years. My grandpa used to call it his 'punkin thrower'.:p

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks fellas for all your intrest.
I'll continue on and complete the flintlock book.
I've been called an expert on flintlocks, but I find out somthing new everyday.
If I can be of any help to you all please feal free to e-mail me, it's part of my job and you won't be pestering me.
Again Thanks.

I've fired the Thompson Center Hawken flintlock extensively and really got a lot out of it. The challenge of getting a flinter to go off almost 100% and learning to achieve that is a satisfying accomplishment. Unfortunately, I sold it during a gun cabinet downsizing.

I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess .75 bore musket but up until now it's been a wallhanger. The 3/4" balls are really impressive, though!

New to Flint

As others I've been muzzleloading for years with a Percussion Kentucky Long rifle from kit. Recently picked up a Pennsylvania Long Rifle from Traditions and haven't looked back. It was a big hit at our harvest festival at church when I donned the Continental Officers uniform.
A new perspective is brought to history when you "participate" in it.

I shoot and hunt with a T/C Grey Hawk (percussion side hammer, but stainless steel). I'm hoping to scrape together enough pesos for one of the stainless steel T/C Firestorm flinters. I like the actions, I just really hate rust and oil deadened caps, pans and barrels! I may crack and pick up a Lyman flinter though...
I'm self taught, and cast my own roundball and maxiballs, as well as cutting and lubing my own patches. It's more satisfying for me to have about 50% of what goes into my barrel be handmade components. I for one would read a flintlock book!

T/C Renegade .54

Inherited this when my father passed. Brother has its twin. We're going out hunting this year. BTW - also from PA (close to where I79 and I80 intersect)

I use a pair of Tennesse Mountain rifles that I built, one is a .50 with a L&R Durrs Egg lock in it. The other is a .32 with a L&R Dickert lock in it. Both rifles are very fast and with the Green Mountain barrels they are very accurate.

Snake

Back