What would you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryoon

Inactive
My friend wants to get a full size semi-auto for target and home defense. My state(ca) is not a shall-issue state so concealability is not a consideration. He is somewhat recoil sensitive and on a limited budget of $200-$250( may spend up to $300). Can you recommend something for him? I am trying to get him into more shooting. Oh..also he'd like to have it in min. of 9mm caliber.
Thank you all for your advices.
Brian

From the little bit of info u gave im going to assume this is his 1st gun. in that price range u arent going to have many choices. ruger,miltex,taurus,kel-tec are a few decent guns for the price. Go shopping. let him find one he likes then come back and ask for opionions. thats what i do !

------------------
TIM : )

Have him take a look at the Ruger auto's. They are big, rugged as hell, and cheap. Or, there are the S&W Sigma Pistols in 9mm and .40 S&W. Both are around $300. There are other smaller companies that make cheap 9s, but the quality is hit and miss for the most part. -Kframe

Bryoon,
You probably do not want to hear this but if your friend is not very knowledgeble he would be far better off starting with a revolver. They are accurate, hard hitting, reliable, and fit well in a budget. Try a quality .357 Magnum with a four or six inch barrel. He can start out learning to shoot it with .38 wadcutters and work himself up to full house magnums if he wishes. Should be able to get under the $200 mark easily and spend the rest on ammunition. Practice is what makes a good shooter, not a sixteen-gazillion round magazine. If he goes this route he will never regret it.

Good luck and God bless,
Paladin

I have seen the Witness pistols around. They are a clone of the CZ75. I have not shot one yet, but other people have spoke highly of them, and I have handled them, they seem to be of decent quality. Also, CZ has started importing them again. I don't know if they are any good, maybe someone here can add something about them.
In 9mm, recoil should not be a problem.
In my area, you can pick up a Witness for less than $300, I'm not sure on the CZ, but I suspect they would be in the same ballpark. Hope this helps.

I am sorry about the little info I gave. He already has a sp-101 in 9mm that he wants to sell. He wants to get a pistol that will holds more rounds than revolver and something he can use for target shooting. Would EAA witness or browning hi-power clone work for him? Thank you all for your advices. I really enjoy this forum.
Brian

I'm a BIG fan of the FEG hi-power copy. Holds 13 rounds, they have been making magazines since 1935 and it goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger.

Retails for around $225 right now. look in the Shotgun news for the best price, contact one of thier stocking dealers in your area.

Also, Ruger is not a bad choice if you don't mind a bulkier handgun in either 9mm or 40 cal. I'd recommend thier 45 but it only holds 7 rounds.. given the grip frame size they should have made it a hi capacity gun.

A used COP gun is not a bad idea either smith and wesson 6906 models are all over the place as police trade ins again browse the shotgun news and see if there is anything you like. ;)

Dr.Rob

I just wanted to give you myinfo for the price of your friend i would look into a good used handgun. you can find many prices out there. I picked up a glock 40cal long slide with only 300 shots for 350.00 2 hicaps. so look around and test some guns befor you buy.

Since you live in the PRK (people's republik of kalifornia) I suggest a .45. My first gun was a .45 and it wasn't a problem to shoot, recoil wise. It is certainly better than a small frame revolver in .38 (which should be equivalent to a 9mm). Also, since he will be limited, by law, in capacity, it doesn't make any sense to me to carry a 9mm with a magazine limited to half capacity, esp. since the grip will be large with no real benefit.

A single stack .45 will hold nearly all the rounds you would be allowed anyway. The problem will be staying within his price range. Personally, I would never buy a gun solely by price. A Ruger, however, would be my choice in this case. Any new 1911 worth shooting (and one that is reliable) will run more tham ~$350. The only other thing I can think of is to buy a milsurp 1911. If he wants to go to the $400-600 range, I would think (in order of price) CZ 97, Springfield, Kimber, and the Beretta Cougar.

I agree with the gentleman who suggested a police trade-in .38/.357 DA revolver. GOOD semiautos have a definite place, but most of the time the average user--and especially the beginner--would be better served with the revolver. However, you can tell people--but you can't tell them much.

------------------

Thank a bunch. It is great to know when I post a question it will be answered. Anyways I will have him read this post and in the meantime, I will recommend him eaa or ruger personally. We have a great forum going here. Thank you again to all.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back