Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Mossberg 590A1

Votes: 24 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATN082268

O.K. It's been a long road of decision making and finances :) I've come down to 3 choices of firearms, two are handguns and the other one is a shotgun. I will mainly be using the firearm in question for home defense and range duties. I live in the country, so if I can't use my shotgun at the range, I can probably set up something in the backyard. I wanted to ask a couple of things which are probably painfully obvious to experienced firearms owners.

1. Do ranges generally let you shoot a shotgun?

2. Is concealed carry realistic for the Beretta 92 FS or the FNX-45 Tactical?

Thank you.

What would you pick?

2. Is concealed carry realistic for the Beretta 92 FS or the FNX-45 Tactical?

Those are duty sized guns, and big in the butt duty sized guns at that .... you could conceal them, but you'd have to make a pretty major effort to dress around them.

Most of the ranges I've been to either let you shoot shotgun on the rifle range or have a dedicated shotgun range. I don't know much about the FNX but the 92FS is a lot of gun to conceal. It is possible but, from what I've seen, it almost requires a jacket or sport coat to hide it effectively

The ranges near me all allow shotguns but slugs only. I agree the two autos you mentioned are a little large for CCW

Gary

If you're a big guy, you should be able to conceal those guns easier than most. That being said, they are big guns. Most ranges will let you shoot shotguns around here, but i can't speak for your area.

I'll give my 2 cents:

Shotguns are generally not acceptable to shoot shotshells at the range. If the range uses disposable target backings, then they can be ok.

Both of those guns are HUGE. They would be NG to me, but if you insist, a shoulder holster or OWB pancake could make them usable.

I voted for the Beretta 92FS,and the reason is very simple. Because this person will mainly be using the firearm in question for home defense and range duties.

Home defense only====The shotgun.
But add in some range time, the Beretta. You can only have so much fun blowing stuff up with a shotgun!:D

None of the above....

Defense in general...shotguns can be clumsy / Handguns are more versatile...and for concealed carry - full size handguns are no big deal, but you need a good belt and a good holster.

It doesn't sound like you have a lot of experience with guns in general ...or have visited many ranges. I suggest you find a range in your area that rents guns...and figure out what best fits your hands / what controls you like / trigger types... Double Action, Stryker fired, DA-SA, SAO....and size, weight, caliber, etc....

Most Defensive situations will be at a range of 3 Ft - 24 Ft probably.....
-------------------------
Most ranges in my area...let you shoot shotguns with OO Buck or slugs
--------------------------
My recommendations... consider a good revolver in .357 Mag in a 4" or maybe a 6" barrel / a variety of semi-auto handguns in 9mm / shotgun ..not so much but most any pump gun is probably fine / a lever action rifle in a rural area may be what you need in .357 Mag or .44 Mag...maybe pair a lever action rifle in .357 Mag to a revolver in .357 Mag...( Winchester, Marlin, Henry all make some decent rifles for under $ 1,000 - with Henry being one of the better )...and on revolvers probably a S&W K, L or N frame or one of the Ruger options in .357 Mag are good choices.

and whatever you pick ....practice with it at least once a month ( a box at least )....

A shotgun is awkward and hard to handle in close quarters. Also, where would you safely store it and it still be handy for you to get in the middle of the night?

I would get a smaller handgun. If you want to conceal carry and still have a decent size pistol, I would get something like a Glock 19 or it's twin by another mother, the much cheaper S & W SD9VE (which I have). If you're not as concerned about taking it with you, I would get a 38/357 revolver with a 4" barrel. I have both and have a hard decision regarding which one is going to be near my bed.

For home, and range shooting I say get the Beretta 92FS.
Good for home defense with fifteen rounds of 9mm. I load up four magazines or more and go to the range and have fun with it also, it's quite an accurate handgun, and one of my favorites.
Kind off big for ccw, but can be pulled off with a loose shirt over it, but I have others relegated for that duty.

For home defense, I prefer a handgun over a shotgun, and I also prefer 9 mm for economy of range ammo. The Beretta is a very nice pistol, beautiful with elegant lines, reliable function, and quite accurate. I am not big enough to carry one, but I really enjoy my 92FS at the range and at home. I personally consider it fondle-worthy.

The Beretta is a terrific pistol. You might consider the 92A1 if you want the latest 92 with some technical updates, but it will be a bit more expensive. The 92FS is still outstanding.

I don't choose to carry a gun of that size, but I know people who manage to do so without much trouble.

I have a Beretta Compact Inox. Great gun and a bit shorter than the M92. Maybe you should look at one? I think Buds has lightly used 92s for around $300.
9310888_zps4a3f3cea.jpg

I'm all about shotguns for home defense. And all about Mossbergs, too. My 500 is my go-to for defending the castle. It's the most worry-free, reliable firearm in my collection. I find it a lot easier to get on target quickly than any pistol. And with an 18.5" barrel it's not hard to move around the house with.

The range I use allows shotguns as long as we stick to birdshot and don't use steel.

Honestly, it sounds to me like you're interested in carrying something. If that's the case, go for it and maybe get the shotgun some other time. But if your primary concern is home defense, that Mossberg seems like a great choice to me.

Seriously, if you live in the country, it's a no brainer. Shotgun every day of the week. I'd go 870, but to each his own.

If you want to CC it, I'd go 92 (or M9). I prefer the M9 sights to the 92. As far as I know, that is the only difference between the two. Very proven platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back