What would you do

jag2

I recently won a nice S&W on GB. Dealer received the check and I asked him to ship the following Monday, he said he would send me tracking info. Nothing for several days thereafter, he ignored three emails, called him on the phone, said he would do it after lunch, didn't. Finally on Thursday he ships and I received on Friday. Only problem, he failed to enclose the factory letter. Now over a week later still no letter and he again ignores emails. I will flame him on GB but that doesn't get me the letter. I don't want a discount, I want the letter. Any suggestions on how to apply pressure to finally finish the transaction?

First off, I'm on your side here. You were promised something, then you should get it.

You DID get the gun (after several frustrating run-arounds) so I think we can eliminate 'malice' from the equation.

What's still on the table though is 'incompetency', 'bumbling', 'laziness', 'disorganization' and a host of others in this genre.

Dishonesty might or might not be on the table. If the factory letter was a prime consideration of the sale then dishonesty is definitely in.

Capecuddy's advice might be good...I don't know what Gunbroker does with complaints, your idea to list what you went through with this yahoo is fine too as long as you stick to the facts as you laid them out here.

I've heard of people writing to gun manufacturers with the serial number of their gun and getting information about it. Is that a possibility here? I don't really know if they still do this or if it would make up for the original letter. For heaven sakes, the BOXES some guns have come in have sold for $200-$300 sometimes.

Good luck.

What factory letter are you looking for??
Is it the owners manual? If it is the owners manuals for most manufactures owners manuals can be found online at their web sight.

First off, I read thru GB buyers protection plan, really not sure it would be of any help, plus GB has a reputation of not wanting to get involved.
The letter I referred to is the factory letter from S&W which details the guns history and adds value to older collectible guns. Yes I could get one but they aren't cheap, take quite a while to get and basically I already paid for it but the seller has it. I will probably post on the S&W forum soon but I wanted to get some ideas here. He is a high end seller of S&W collectible guns and supposedly has a very good reputation within that community, but not with me.

Gunbroker probably won't do anything, but I would certainly start with their complaint department.

How did you pay, and how was the firearm shipped? If the U.S. Postal Service was involved, you might also file a complaint with the postal inspectors. They probably won't do anything but, if they even make a phone call to the guy, it might serve as a wake-up call.

If he doesn't make good within a reasonable time (whatever that is), I wouldn't hesitate to post about the problem anywhere you can, and name the guy. Just be sure you only post actual facts, so he won't be able to nail you for libel.

If one factory letter was already done for this firearm by S&W, their research has already been done. There is a good chance that they keep copies of all their factory letters that they have produced. Give Smith a call and explain what happened and see if they will send you a copy.

Did finally hear from him, reasonable excuse but a little extra effort could have helped the whole situation. I eagerly await the mailman. Still glad I posted, I think it is an interesting discussion for people to talk about.

Keep us informed. Sometimes people are busy. It is tax season (but if he's running a business, he shouldn't ignore the paying customers).

Back