What would you do with an old rifle crate???

Rich_357

Well I found a private dealer locally (within 3 hours) that has a stash of empty SKS and Mosin crates. I’m guessing that the SKS crates are Yugo’s but I forgot to inquire about that or the dimensions. He did say that the crates were 5 rifles across and that the piece for the second row usually got thrown away. I did some research and if they are Yugo crates they are probably 46”x21”x13”. He’s asking very little and I can probably fit two in my car….if I am lucky.

Can anyone confirm the dimensions? I’m thinking about turning one into a display case; maybe something like this but I’m not sure yet. Thoughts?

_DSC0127CoffeeTablew-lights-A.jpg

Edit: 99.5% sure that they are Yugo crates and the dimensions are pretty much on the money. He has more than a few of them as well as Mosin crates. I plan on heading down this weekend, picking a few up, taking some pics and inventory. He really sounded like he wanted to get rid of these CHEAP but he doesn't want to ship (NC, SC, GA)

Last edited:
That photo looks like someone made a nice display case out of one. Unfortunately for me, My wife would nix that idea in a heartbeat. I'd never be able to bring it out of my workroom in the basement. :)

I think its great except for one thing.
With that table they made a great carrying case for a thief to carry off your guns.

You wouldn't have to put guns in it either. I saw some real nice display tables which had mounted quail in a setting inside. Was very nice.

I went down there last weekend. Picked up two M59/66 crates and two M-67 Ammo crates...$40. :D I'm about halfway through cleaning them up and I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with them. We'll see....

Classic is only releasing their crates to three dealers; this guy one of them. He's off of I-95 in rural SC. He's not willing to ship. He can be found on ArmsList.com.

IMG_20160928_213957_zps6bqfpkxn.jpg

Finished staining one of them; probably just going to use it for garage storage or something. It's not great but for $15 + $8 of stain...it'll do :P

IMG_20161009_152939_zpsgayvzul8.jpg

IMG_20161009_153202_zps5nahp0pu.jpg

Back