What wheelgun for range and occasional ccw?

Puddle Pirate

I think I've finally decided to break down and buy a revolver. I want a steel frame, .38 +P capable (not too concerned with .357 ability) It will spend most of the time on the range, but will occasionally be carried.

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

I think the most bang for your buck would be a police trade-in. The S&W K frames seem to still be out there. The K frames have a bunch of aftermarket parts available and are small enough to carry if you need to.

Giz

I'd take a look at the S&W Bodyguard or the Ruger SP-101. Personally, if you want to shoot .38's or .38 +P's I would look at getting a revolver chambered for .357 magnum as the gun will have a heavier frame that will soak up a little more recoil.

Where you going to CCW? If you won't be wearing it (a "car gun," etc.), get a 4"bbl (or so), the shorties won't matter for inside a car, et al. & you'll be glad for the extra sight radius for range shooting.

If you'll be wearing it occasionally, you may consider the shorter barrel models.

Too, for protection with a shoter bbl (2.5 - 3") you may consider a .357 as the short bbl velocity sucks - you may need a .357 to acheive .38 results in the snubby.

Ditto the SW 66 (stainless 19) ... alas, ours' are only 2.5" (sniff) ... one of the finest revolvers on the market, IMHO.

I'd also suggest an sp-101. You can shoot 357 or +p, five shots, stainless easily concealed and crisp right out of the box. Robust and reliable.

I don't think the Colt DS was +p rated, the magnum carry was but (sigh) is now discontinued. :(

Avoid +p in older guns. They aren't designed for it.

Dr.Rob

Dr. Rob;
The Colt D/S will handle +P`s fine. The alloy frame guns won`t. Well, they will but not a steady diet. The only trouble would be is your hand +P rated. The recoil after awhile is a bear. I have the small wooden grips on mine from one of the alloy frame Colts, I forget which since I`ve had the gun 25 years. They`re great for concealability but are not the best for shooting more than 50 rounds.

It's a bit hard to have a concealable .38 spl that is actually FUN to shoot.

I have a Taurus 85 Ultralight that is very concealable but I don't really LIKE to take it to the range and shoot it. I do shoot it, but limit the number of rounds I fire out of it. It a real bear after about 20 rounds or so and it's just a .38spl!

Of course a K frame size gun is much easier to shoot but you give up some concealability.

If you don't mind the recoil, go with the more concealable gun. If recoil might be a concern, go with a little bit bigger go. Of course you can always shoot .38 out of a .357 gun.

[This message has been edited by DMSC (edited January 07, 2000).]

The S&W 686 357 is the best revolver on the planet but it is a little bulky at 41oz. Ruger GP100 is a close second and is available in a 3" version @ 36oz. The Ruger SP101 38+P is made on the same frame as the SP101 357 so really you get the best of both worlds with the 357 version and only a hair difference in cost. The SP101 357 3.2" barrel if my favorite and is very accurate as well as light and compact... Have fun choosing...

Puddle Pirate, If shooting .357 magnums is not an issue for you, I would recommend a K-38 S&W. I have a combat masterpiece with a 4" barrel that I really love shooting. The 6" K-38 may be better for target shooting, but I prefer 4" barrels. I know a lot of guys will disagree with a .38, but if you do not plan on shooting magnums, go for it...Ron

Puddle Pirate, just my .02, but I am very partial t SW 3" K frames 65, 13, or If you are very, very lucky a 66.( nobody, let me know if you ever want to get rid of it) They have been my recomendation for new shooters who say they only will own one gun for everything. (gasp) just my opinion SPG

I bought a Taurus 85UL for the wife and she really enjoys it. She's put about 500 range-rounds through it w/o complaint.

Jeff

I have to vote for the ruger sp101 in .357 also. Or in the case of something larger the Gp100, both are excellent shooters with very beefy frames.

Thank you for the input. Next stop is the gunshop to try the most important part. Seeing what fits my hand. (and my bank account) Just one more question though. I have witnessed the QC problems with recent Colt autos, are they common on their revolvers too?

------------------
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." -Alexander Hamilton, The Federalist Papers at 184-8.

[This message has been edited by Puddle Pirate (edited January 07, 2000).]

QC on the colt revolvers has always been near perfect from what I have seen. I have had some problems the fit and finish of the Gov .380's

Keep in mind that almost all popular revolvers have tons of different grips available from different manufacurers, if you find a pistol you like.

------------------
"We all have it coming, kid..." Clint Eastwood, Unforgiven

As a follow-up to artech's post, Hogue makes a replacement grip for the Ruger SP101 that significantly, in my opinion, improves the feel and shootability of the gun. I recommend this combination of revolver and grip for your purposes.

Back