What we need now for the Remington 700.....

Te Anau

is an inexpensive ($40.00) aftermarket trigger that can replace the factory trigger easily.I will not spend $100.00 or more on currently available alternatives.All it needs to be is an OK field trigger that will ease the concern over safety regardless of how rare malfunctions are with the original factory trigger.I have never touched my original 700 trigger and have no intention of trying to reduce pull,but every single time I use this rifle,I will have doubts in the back of my mind.Eventually,this will lead to my selling the rifle and replacing it with something else that doesnt have a "theoretical flaw" in its design.A $40.00 aftermarket trigger would enable myself and countless others to keep and enjoy our 700's.I know a number of shooters who have 700's and every one of us now have doubts about the gun.Come on free market help us out!!!
:)

Last edited:
That would be great if people started selling off their 700's, then I could build up my collection on the cheap! I love the 700 and have never had any problems with mine! IMHO the fear over the trigger is irrational. First, it is a mechanical device that can FAIL, just like the triggers and safety's in every other rifle out there. I'm sure you could put up a thread here asking about Winchester, Savage, Marlin, etc. A/D and there will be people who report failures for each brand on the market today. In fact, the only problems I have ever had with unintended discharges were when I was on the range in the Army with a Colt M-16. It would discharge when the bolt was released forward or if it was tapped just right on the side, but you don't here people up in arms about the Colt triggers. Just because CNBC decided to bash Remington does not mean they are not the fantastic, reliable firearms we have been using for years. If CNBC decides to bash Savage and Winchester are people going to abandon those great products as well? As long as safe firearm handling procedures are followed nobody will get hurt, even if an A/D happened, whether it is the manufacturers fault or the operators. If you do decide to sell your 700 because the liberal media said your trigger is bad, PM me, I'll take it :D!!!

There have probably been way more triggers/safety notches on old Winchester 94s and Marlin 336s fail than the fine ones on Remington 700s, long known as the best factory triggers around, especially if you know how to adjust them properly. Unfortunately the newer ones aren't as good as the ones built 10-30 years ago.

I wouldn't recommend buying a $40 after-market trigger for a 700. You have a better chance to get a good trigger in the $100 range. Timney makes a fantastic one, and Shilens had been very good for the money, but I haven't seen them lately.

Not necessary to worry about it, in my mind. Just maintain the rifle properly, do a safety check every so often, practice safe gun handling. I have 5 700s, not selling them anytime soon. All have factory triggers, with a little tweaking.

However, if you are that concerned and are going to lose sleep and faith in your rifle, there are a couple of cheap options. Find a late model 700 trigger without the connector such as this one: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=200182200
and swap it in. They can be found for a lot less than most aftermarket triggers.

Another option is to remove the connector and trigger form your current unit and permanently attach the connector to the trigger using high quality epoxy and or drill and tap for a screw. This is a cheap fix. A 3-56 screw will fit through the overtravel adjustment hole in the connector, so you do not have to drill this hardened part. Epoxy the connector to the trigger, drill and tap the trigger through the connector hole, install 3-56 screw using loc tite. The overtravel adjstment screw will have to be shortened to allow for the head of the 3-56 screw.

I'll keep my old unsafe 700 just the way it is.
That would be great if people started selling off their 700's, then I could build up my collection on the cheap! I love the 700 and have never had any problems with mine!

JMHO but the 700 trigger is not the problem, it is proven by military, police, FBI, and 10s of thousands of shooters to be safe and user friendly! The real problem is Remington tried to be good to intelligent firearm owners and give them an adjustable trigger that hunters to target shooters can live with. BUT there are rules to adjusting a trigger (any trigger by any MFG.) and people who don't read the rules, can't understand the rules, or don't follow them because "they know a better way" will most likely have, or cause:eek:, a problem sooner or later. Long live the 700, but I fear that this media hype will kill the adjustable trigger for all, and that will be a very sad day!

Last edited:
Theoretical flaw and 50 cents will buy you a coke. I've owned Remington 700s and 788s for over 40 years and have never had an issue. The trigger from the factory fits your description of acceptable. I had my smith work on one for one hours time and it was heavenly.

As others have said already I believe that the all the hype around the 700 trigger is total hog-wash and this statement is coming from someone that has experienced a misfire.

The rifle in question belonged to my stepfather and was purchased in the 70’s. At the time (1994) I was in high school and barrowed my stepfather’s model 700 22-250 to go deer hunting. Upon returning from an unsuccessful hunt I decided to do a safety test by first pulling the trigger with safety on then flicking the safety off. Of course I had the business end pointed skyward but when I flicked the safety off it fired. Reported the incident to my stepfather and he was able to reproduce it through a dry firing.

While this may seem to prove as evidence against the 700 it in-fact supports what Remington has said about proper maintenance. The misfire happened because of the fact that my stepfather had NOT cleaned the rifle since he had obtained it in the 70s. He striped it down and low-and-behold crud city. The Rifle then was cleaned and lubricated and the problem has not happened since. We have tried to make it do it numbeous times but have not had one problem.

Proper maintenance is critical to the proper function of any rifle and any rifle out there is capable of malfunction which is why the rule of “always keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction” exist.

Like this?
Thats 50% more than I'd like to spend but may be a possibility.Only question would be this.If the Jardin trigger uses the factory trigger housing & hardware how different is it? I want a different design,not just a drop in clone. :confused:
From their website.

"The JARD Remington 700 Trigger Upgrade is an easy and economical way to improve your trigger pull, and here's why.
Trigger is available in three models, Model H, Model V and Model XH.
Uses standard Remington 700 housing and safety. Simply replace internal components of factory trigger assembly.
Two Lever system is less susceptible to malfunction due to freezing moisture in a hunting situation vs. a four lever system.
Pull weight of this two lever system approaches weights achievable only with a four lever system previously.
Uses factory screws for over-travel and sear engagement.
Order your Trigger below by selecting the trigger pull weight you want. You can also buy spring kits to change the pull weight for different situations, like hunting or target shooting."

However, if you are that concerned and are going to lose sleep and faith in your rifle, there are a couple of cheap options. Find a late model 700 trigger without the connector such as this one:
Looks like a good option. :)

Well, if everyone treated the rifle as if it might go off, then they'd be sure to point it in only safe directions!
Having that kind of respect for the firearm is a good thing. Keeps us all safer!

But still, I wish people will start selling them off cheap.

Hey, Te Anau, your rifle will kill you and everyone you love. I'll take it off your hands, and it will only cost you a reasonable $100 disposal fee. :)

Originally Posted by Te Anau
What we need now for the Remington 700.....
is an inexpensive ($40.00) aftermarket trigger that can replace the factory trigger easily.

Not to be rude Te Anau, if you are so concerned about the 700 safety that it need to replace, then is someone life not worth the extra $60? Beside the fact that you would have a really nice trigger.

This reminds me of the guy buying a cheap motorcycle helmet. A $15 helmet is good enough for a $15 head.

Te Anau said:
Thats 50% more than I'd like to spend but may be a possibility.Only question would be this.If the Jardin trigger uses the factory trigger housing & hardware how different is it? I want a different design,not just a drop in clone.

50% more, maybe, but it's a $20 difference. Besides, I've literally NEVER seen a trigger for $40. I'd bet they exist but it would hardly be an option for quality.

I don't know if the design is different than the original but I can tell you that the Jard trigger on my Ruger M77 MkII is of a completely different design than the original. R700, I don't know.

is an inexpensive ($40.00) aftermarket trigger that can replace the factory trigger easily.I will not spend $100.00 or more on currently available alternatives.All it needs to be is an OK field trigger that will ease the concern over safety regardless of how rare malfunctions are with the original factory trigger.I have never touched my original 700 trigger and have no intention of trying to reduce pull,but every single time I use this rifle,I will have doubts in the back of my mind.Eventually,this will lead to my selling the rifle and replacing it with something else that doesnt have a "theoretical flaw" in its design.A $40.00 aftermarket trigger would enable myself and countless others to keep and enjoy our 700's.I know a number of shooters who have 700's and every one of us now have doubts about the gun.Come on free market help us out!!!

I suspect this was tongue in cheek, but this actually touches on a good question: How do you test your trigger to be certain it won’t follow?

The CNBC episode I saw mentioned a factory test, used by the original designer of the trigger.

Anyone got that?

Back