What was this gun?

I foubd this at my grandfather house and i don have the barrel but i woyld likr to know what was this rifle
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Its not a rifle. Its a single shot break action shotgun . probably from a catalog/mail order store or some hardware chain store. You will need the barrel and fore arm to readily identify it.:confused:

Like LucasMcCain said, it's a shotgun, most likely a hardware store variety, but those were made by real gun companies by the time that one came into existence (1960s or 1970s by the look of the stamped checkering and the fact that it actually has a serial number).

The impressed checkering, the circular logo with the (somewhat indistinguishable) scene at the rear end of the checkering is very reminiscent of that found on Cooey .22 rifles made in Canada.

Cooey eventually became a Winchester company, and I'd be willing to bet that this is a Canadian Cooey version of the Winchester 37A shotgun.

I compared your receiver with pictures of a 37A and they appear to be identical.

Attachments

• 37A.jpg
    37A.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Cooeys were never imported into the U.S., so I suspect the OP is in Canada. In all the publicity over Canadian gun ban laws in recent years, many owners became frightened of the government and chose to destroy their old guns, even those not affected by the laws or not banned; that may have been one of them.

Jim

Definitely a Cooey Winchester. The horrid pressed in "checkering" positively identifies it, as does the oddly shaped hammer spur.

Normally, though, the Winchesters were marked on the right action flat above the trigger. That one isn't.

And the guess that brandon is Canadian appears to be right on the money. His IP comes back to somewhere in Canada. Good call, Jim.

Back